Star Cross'd Destiny Community
January 13, 2009, 07:36:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News: VOTE For the WIN!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tales of Symphonia II: So bad I want to kill myself.  (Read 392 times)
sjw8800
the way of the cute
n'awlins local

The return of Aika

Tales of Symphonia II: So bad I want to kill myself.
« on: December 02, 2008, 11:15:28 PM »

This was more of a letdown than Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

The game is basically, you get two new players, and as the story progresses, they will throw in characters from the first game, one or two at a time.
This bugs the fuck out of me, especially because the 2 characters are BOTH stupid as hell. Emil, a total pussy, and the other Marta, an annoying bitch. Next to that, the characters of the first game cannot level up or gain new titles, weapons or armor, Techs and skills. It's fucking ridiculous.

To fill up your severely lacking party, you get a monster system. It would almost be worth it, but you can't control the monsters manually, and the AI is so horrible any commands given to the monsters goes on deaf ears and they go off doing their own thing until they die from stupidity.

The stun (dizzyness) effect is also so ridiculous in this instance. Any heavy-hitters will guard all attacks, hit Emil once and he will get dizzy. And unlike in The origional Tales of Symphonia, you can't mash the buttons and spin the control stick to quicken the recovery time. This leaves you vulnerable for up to 5 full seconds (from what I've seen). This might not mean too much, unless you get hit again and more fucking stars show up, increasing your time. Unlike in the first game when the dizzyness went away after getting hit once.

This happens very often after getting surrounded by 6 monsters, while Marta, the new healer, sits in the back healing everyone but you.
Guarding takes almost a full second to activate giving monsters plenty of time to whup your ass while recovering from getting owned.

Oh, did I mention you pretty much *have* to play as Emil? The AI is so horrid if you leave the only frontline character up to them, Emil drops like an epileptic. Oh poo. And with him gone, guess who is next? The HEALER! And the monsters can't use items to revive the fallen so you're pretty much fucked. Even if they have revival spells. Gee, thanks assholes.

Talk about being fucked, let's talk about the bosses. In the original Tales of Symphonia, bosses weren't OverPowered, and actually played like every other monster. They flinched when getting hit and had to recover, after getting knocked down, etc.
In this game, they don't even have to block to reduce your damage to double digits. While walking around and fighting they have immunity to flinching which hinders normal damage you'll deal. And they don't flinch so *while* you're swinging away they'll just punch you in the face and Stun your ass pronto, leaving you crossing your fingers, hoping that you don't get raped until you get a chance to run away.
It's possible to break this immunity after about 5-6 constant hits, still it's hard to keep up a combo above 30. Depending on the boss my combo's end after around 20 after breaking the "shield".

Leveling up is also a thing of the past. The only way to level up is within dungeons, because there is no longer walking between towns. I've noticed the Tales Team has been slacking on this. Tales of the Abyss had horrid World map graphics. Now they've removed it entirely and you just select which town you want to go to on a map.
Because of that instead of leveling up while walking to the next town. You have to beat down the monsters in a dungeon over and over again until you can bring them down in one stroke. That you might actually have a chance against the ridiculous bosses that await.

The *only* improvements I've seen so far since the first game are the graphics (not saying too much) and the music. Still listening to the same fantastic tunes with some twists, and some new songs that are also quite the addition.

And the voices /facepalm

The voice acting is fair, but what truly bugs me is the fact that they are pronouncing words differently than they did in the first game.
Pal-mah-coh-sta is now Pal-mah cost-a.
Mana is now Mo-na
Just to name a few. The director needs to be shot for his lack of research. Who the fuck could possibly make that kind of mistake while making a sequel? Just watch the first game to learn the pronunciations. What the fuck?!

Some of the voice actors/actresses have changed, but nothing that can't be overlooked, as the replacements still fit fairly well.

I wouldn't have too much of a problem with the story if they would have just kept the original Tales of Symphonia characters in the party, rather than aimlessly making them leave the party.

"O-K, it was fun guys. I'm going to go on ahead to find Lloyd. You stay here and wait for the next Character to help you progress. I'll see you at the climax of the game. Bye!"
"Okay, by Collete!"
"Hi, I'm Regal, I'll take you past the next two levels until you meet with Sheena, but that's as far as I go."

And just me, but  the game started pokes at my pet peeve. Romances in a video game. Romances in a video game are fine as long as they don't beat around the bush. But games where the main character and the love intrest just dick around and blush the whole fucking game!!! GRRRRRRRRRR.
This game is FULL of ...

"Oh, Emil! I missed you!"
"Um... yea. *blush*"
And the next cut scene.
"Oh! Marta! Are you okay?"
"Um... yea. *blush*"

That's my own personal pet peeve, though.

I'm an avid Tales fan. And this has been SOOO many steps back from almost all of the previous games. The exception being Tales of Destiny. Tales of Destiny had such wonderful characters, a fucking shame that YOU CAN'T PLAY AS ANY OF THEM!!! (except Stahn, whoop de doo)

But Tales of Phantasia definitely tops this game. I mean, what the fuck. I can't even revisit old towns in this game? GTFO!!!!!!

But the all time worst, possible spoilers or whatever....

But you actually HAVE to throw the boss fight.  I mean, yea you can win all of the boss fights, but it won't let you save afterwards so it forces you to go back and actually DELIBERATLY blow the fight.
Who was the FUCKING MORON that said "Oh! We should make it so that he HAS to blow the boss fights! LOL, funny rite?"

I don't know if it's because I've gotten used to the game, but playing through Mania mode is WAAAAAY easier than when I played through hard mode the first time.
I'm just glad there is an unknown difficulty to unlock because this is ridiculously easy.

Also and finally,

It's short. The first game takes around 40 hours rushing, and my timer was at 27 when I finished, and I wasn't even rushing through. I was attempting to enjoy the game..... Just, Jesus... how could such a FANTASTIC game has such a HORRID sequel?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:18:24 PM by sjw8800 » Logged

Twhit
underpaid hobo

Fight da powah?

Re: Tales of Symphonia II: So bad I want to kill myself.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 12:50:14 AM »

I loved the first one. I was planning to buy the second one, until I started seeing all the reviews that showed it as, well, this. I then got so fed up with the Wii for not having a single damn playable RPG on it that I went out and bought a 360 along with Tales of Vesperia. Currently, I am enjoying that game a lot more than I think I would have enjoyed the one you describe here. Thank you for validating my decision. 
sjw8800
the way of the cute
n'awlins local

The return of Aika

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 11:44:34 PM »

You're welcome.

I've been wanting to play Vesperia, but I had just bought a PS3 for Valkyria Chronicles (best game in the universe =P) And I'm not about to do the same thing for Vesperia.

I have to say, it's been pissing me off how Namco has been jumping consoles when producing the Tales series.

Twhit
underpaid hobo

Fight da powah?

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 12:06:15 AM »

Seconded. I got the 360 mainly because I couldn't afford a PS3, buying a used copy of Vesperia because that's all I could find. I'm enjoying it thoroughly, though the controls keep throwing me off (never owned anything XBox-y before, taking some getting used to).

You know, on the subject of controls, I think they really impact my memories of a game. I mean, in the basics, the Tales games all share more or less the same system in battle. Well, Legendia went back to 2d, which was annoying, but barring that. I've played Symphonia (cube), Abyss (PS2), and now Vesperia (360). Each time the slightly different controller changes how the whole game feels. My PS2 controller was kind of old and beat up, the R1 stuck occasionally, so Abyss didn't feel as tight. Vesperia's fine, brand new controller though still makes it feel a little alien. I absolutely love the Gamecube controller, something's just really satisfyingly solid about the big plastic buttons that makes it feel like the control is more tight. Thinking of it, I'd imagine the Wiimote wouldn't be too good for a game like Tales (or most button-based fighting games, really), as it's so . . . loose. Floaty. It has its place, but I prefer the classic controllers for things like this or Brawling or what-have-you.

Well, a bit off-topic there.

I think one of the most annoying things about TOS2, for me (besides not being able to play with the old cast again for any extended period of time), would have to be just putting up with the characters. Emil sounds so annoying from what you've said. Vesperia has a really good cast overall, and balanced too - even your spellcasters and healers have a variety of melee-based techs to get them out of harm's way, and any of them is actually tolerable to control. Personality-wise, they're fine - a bit archetype-y overall, but better than annoying whiny kids. Yuri, the main character, may look a little more feminine than is strictly necessary, but he straight-up murders a villain in the middle of the night and dumps the body in a river to hide it from the "good guy" royal knights.  So he's pretty agreeable to play as.

Sorry, bet this sounds more like bragging than anything.  Thank you for your noble sacrifice in playing a bad game so the rest of us don't have to.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.7 | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS