Star Cross'd Destiny Community
August 01, 2008, 04:00:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News: VOTE For the WIN!!  Updates daily!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Acoustic Guitar~  (Read 121 times)
Zerasu
street musician

Acoustic Guitar~
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »

Hello sXd community~

I am stuck with a slight dilemma right now. I've got that stubborn idea stuck in me head and I'm unable to get rid of it: I want to learn to play the guitar. But as some of you know, I'm quadriplegic. Not completely, but my hands are pretty much half-paralyzed, each hand in its own way:

- The two last fingers of my left hand are paralyzed. Can move them, but can't feel them. I don't think they can be used to play. So that leaves me with only three functional fingers of that hand.

- Right hand is pretty much okay at first sight. But some muscles in my fingers are paralyzed. So the hand is pretty much weak, and I don't think I could even press a chord with my index finger.

I know it might not sound much like a dilemma, but I played violin for 3 years, with very slow progress, only to find out I wouldn't be able to keep playing with that left hand of mine. Now my question is; what should I do to give me an advantage? Try and learn to play with only the three fingers of my left hand? Or try a left-handed guitar )even though I'm right-handed) to have the chords on the side of my right hand?

I really just need advice. Not an official reply, but what YOU think. And don't hesitate to say it if you think I should give up. I probably will anyway after a while, if I don't come up with the best solution. But yeah, right now I'm motivated enough not to let anything or anyone make me change my mind.

(My mom "You tried once, and you gave up!"
Me "Mom... I was seven years old, and you didn't even want me to have a teacher!"
Mom "But we got you books to learn!"
Me "I couldn't even READ music, mom! I would have needed to learn that first."
Mom "...Right." *Goes back to make dinner*)

Pweeze, discuss. I'll need some material to brainstorm. Take the ups and downs, and see if it's really worth it.
Desperado
cajun mafia

Re: Acoustic Guitar~
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 03:07:21 PM »

Actually this is quite the dilemma for even non quadriplegic  players as well. When I first began playing all I could use were my index, middle and ring fingers, and that carried on for two years. It's not a big deal unless you want to shred, I dont know you that well enough to say that you do or dont but eh. In any case I got over my deal with that by doing exercises on my guitar, I dont know if your acoustic is hard to play but I know that if you get an electric it'll be much easier.

Also on chords, look up how to make the most basic chord, because it's only three notes and you can use your three fingers on your left for that. C G D A E, F and B are a little difficult unless you do a power chord B A etc. Because that's only two fingers. Any way here are some of the exercises I use, they are all by Joe Satriani who himself is a guitar teacher/god:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCbS1BWrTcs&feature=related

Let me know if these help, I'm not that much of an acoustic player since my friend broke my acoustic guitar...but that's another story for another day.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:11:03 PM by Desperado » Logged

Zerasu
street musician

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 01:29:11 AM »

Thanks! I'll make use of that! You know, if acoustic is too tough, I might actually play the electric guitar. My sister has one she doesn't use so I could practice ^^
Anyway thanks a bunch. I'll tell you if this helped for sure!
Juno
ragin' cagun sparkplug!
Administrator
scd cult

da starcross'd destinies you sweep under your feet

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 11:42:36 PM »

Electric guitars with super light strings are much easier on weaker or smaller hands.  I would definitely try to doing a lefty guitar as well.  Your left hand will take a serious beating even with just doing three finger'd chords on a regular guitar - I had to stop playing guitar for years because my hands would swell so bad.  But I've moved to a guitar with much lower action (strings lower to the fretboard) and lighter strings.  It's been much easier.

All and all, try both.  Some guitar bodies are made so they can be swapped around.  You might ask about those. Smiley

Best of luck in the adventure.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.5 | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS