Star Cross'd Destiny Community
August 01, 2008, 04:02:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News: VOTE For the WIN!!  Updates daily!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Orphaned Works Bill  (Read 1106 times)
Juno
ragin' cagun sparkplug!
Administrator
scd cult

da starcross'd destinies you sweep under your feet

Orphaned Works Bill
« on: April 12, 2008, 03:04:17 PM »

Taken from my blog here a few minutes ago - read up folks:

There's a LOT of hoopla going on about this but to state the simple facts:

This is a bill which seeks to limit liability for artists, educators and others who make a “reasonably diligent search” to find a copyright holder but cannot, is a significant improvement over the draft bill proposed by the Copyright Office in February.

What the bill does (as stated by www.publicknowledge.org)

*       It prohibits injunctions when the user of an orphan work “recasts, transforms, adapts or integrates the [orphan] work with the [user’s] original expression in a new work of authorship….” This ensures that the publication of transformative works that may include the entirety of an orphan work will not be able to be stopped by a court.
    *      It requires the Copyright Office to make available information that will help users understand what might constitute a reasonably diligent search.
    *      The bill makes clear that in determining the “reasonable compensation” an orphan works user must pay should the orphan works owner reappear, the owner has the burden of establishing the amount that a willing buyer and willing seller would have agreed to.
    *      The bill eliminates a provision that would have required the rules to sunset after 5 years.

While this bill does not "legalize" theft as many are taking it to mean, it does put more emphasis on the registration of the individual's works. If you use "poor man's copyright" for example your work is not protected in court. This bill does not protect users against damages, nor does it provide any safe harbor clauses if an orphaned works' owner appears - e.g. a clause which prohibits any payment if a user immediately ceases using the orphan work when an owner reappears, to apply both to commercial and non-commercial uses.

This obviously has concerns for small artists who work to make profit off their works and especially those who do not have works registered with the copyright office.

The bill is on the fast track and is expected to be in front of the subcommittee this Wednesday. If you disagree with this bill please sign the petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/dAvsOW/petition.html

And to get ahead of the game, start getting your arts, writings, etc together for registration at the copyright office:

http://www.copyright.gov

It costs a little more than $30 to get a bulk sum of stuff registered. So get to it.

zizi
cajun mafia

do what tastes right

Re: Orphaned Works Bill
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:22:35 PM »

the internet is a terrible yet wonderful thing

I'm at a loss for words.
gryfon
tourist

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 08:29:46 AM »

Its actually scary what this could end up doing to people, I have a friend who has had her web art stolen on more than one occasion and used for commercial purposes, now laws like this will encourage those who "troll" for peoples work...

I am glad to hear the confusion cleared up that it doesn't legalize theft, that seems to have been a common misconception...

Scary to say the least...

"A life lived in fear is a life half lived"

http://blossomofthesakura.blogspot.com/ - My own little Anime/Manga reviews and personal art blog
humble scuba
Avian Envy
Global Moderator
scd cult

The Cap Gun Cowboy Strikes Again!

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 01:30:06 AM »

Good Christ, I still can't get my head around the idea that one should have to PAY for copyright.

Dear Lord,
Grant me the Courage to change that which I can,
The Serenity to accept that which I cannot,
And the Wisdom to hide the bodies of those I strangle along the way.

Amen.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.5 | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS