Star Cross'd Destiny Community
February 12, 2008, 06:38:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News: HEY! WIPE THAT BOOGER OFF YOUR NOSE! 

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how NOT to cook manjar ("man-har")  (Read 34 times)
drgnladyblue
tourist

how NOT to cook manjar ("man-har")
« on: February 10, 2008, 07:49:40 PM »

Manjar is a traditional Chilean treat similar to dulce de leche/caramel/etc. A way to cheat is to heat up an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in a pan of boiling water. It's not quite as good as *real* manjar, but it works.

...as long as you don't walk away from it for almost 4 hours! XD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drgnladyblue/

They're the first pics on my Flickr page. Note the cracked light fixture from who knows what, and the pan, which went from the stovetop to where it is under the table from the force of the explosion, and left an impressive burn mark. Also, a video of the damage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jps3QOJPmYU

It only took three hardworking girls (my friend Lindsey (on the floor scrubbing), whose kitchen it took place in, my roomie Jenna (the other girl in the video), and I, the photographer/filmer) about an hour to clean it up spotlessly. ^_^

I'll get some after-pics up later as well, so you can see how much better it looks, and the burn mark. XD

*I quickly re-formatted your links for you; they wouldn't work. Happy posting.
Neph
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 10:12:07 PM by Nephtys » Logged
Silverain
bourbon st drunk

wide-eyed mystified

Re: how NOT to cook manjar ("man-har")
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »

Ooooh yeah.  *applauds*

I once tried making dulce de leche with the condensed milk method, but I was chicken and punched a hole in the can.  This made some of the milk bubble out, some water leaked in, and in general it didn't work too well.  Although maybe if I'd left it a bit longer, it'd have worked, because the milk did turn a little bit thick and brown ... but not much.  But at least it didn't explode.  ^^

better to just buy the stuff in a jar, I guess.

Pancake Ninja
*Candidate for GNTP President*
humble scuba
Avian Envy
Global Moderator
scd cult

The Cap Gun Cowboy Strikes Again!

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 06:53:06 AM »

I bet the cracked light fixture is from the can popping into the air when it exploded.

All I have to say is, well-done.  What you lost in flavor you definitely made up in entertainment value. Cheesy

Quote from: Ki-chan on January 08, 2008, 03:24:05 PM
You're distant from me
but still I feel your warm heart
beating close to me.
drgnladyblue
tourist

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 09:58:31 AM »

That's what I'm betting, too. My friend wasn't quite convinced until we looked at pics from a previous day...

The light fixture was indeed in one piece before this incident.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS