Star Cross'd Destiny Community
December 24, 2007, 06:40:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News: Play Forum Games responsibly!!!  Officer Dmizer is watching!!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon.com's new take on the E-Book  (Read 271 times)
Nephtys
Love cake
Administrator
scd cult

Keeper of Sacred Words' little brother: w00t

Amazon.com's new take on the E-Book
« on: November 25, 2007, 08:47:02 PM »

It's called the kindle, and it's sure as hell kindled my interest. Apparently it uses a very special kind of screen that looks just like paper, so it cuts out the glare and the strain that you get from a pc screen. If you want to purchase books, you just download them. No need to buy a wi-fi contract or locate a hotspot. Amazon's own WhisperNet sends you the book.

I think it sounds quite cool and has a lot of potential, but of course we'll have to see how it fares once it's started selling. Oh yeah, at $400 it's not exactly cheap either. But arguably it is worth it, if you count how much money you'll save on buying books.

Anyway, make up your own mind here: http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-com-kindle/dp/B000FI73MA

I have been assured that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout.
Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
Sleeper
Tortilla cheesemelt emperor
cajun mafia

Nice smile, right?

Re: Amazon.com's new take on the E-Book
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 10:46:50 PM »

personally, i prefer books as tangible paper that i can drop, abuse, and know will last as long as i'm alive regardless of whether it becomes outdated or broken, as long as i avoid floods or house fires.

but it does seem pretty nifty to carry a good amount of books in one little device. what i've liked about the ipod is the freedom to just pick whatever i feel up to listening without having to carry a cart of CD's.

but like neph said, you never quite know until it's out in the market. this is something i would definitely wait for a few years until the technology becomes cheaper and has all the kinks worked out.

Only when you are able to win a staring contest with someone's picture will you receive my respect.
Nephtys
Love cake
Administrator
scd cult

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 07:04:30 AM »

Yeah, it's the freedom of it that sounds interesting to me. If you're travelling for example. Go on a holiday and take a whole bunch of books along without clogging up your suitcase and hand luggage. How nifty is that?

I have been assured that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout.
The Kay
bourbon st drunk

Ex Vampirius

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 11:32:23 PM »

Yeah, that definitely appeals to me, being able to pick up and read any book in my collection. I've got a lot. I stuff a few into my bag to read when I'm on the go, but sometimes I have a craving to read a book of mine that I just didn't take with me. A kindle and an iPod combo would make long road trips practically heavenly for me.

Signatures are overrated.
humble scuba
What the F is /me?
Global Moderator
scd cult

The Cap Gun Cowboy Strikes Again!

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 06:49:05 AM »

So how does this work?  You buy into the program, and have unlimited free book downloads?  At least, that's the impression I got from the first post.

Or, do you have to pay for each book you download?  And if so, is it full shelf-price?  And if it's free, or reduced-price, how do they work out royalties to the author or payment to the publisher?

dmizer: jezus tits
humble scuba: how hilarious would it be if jesus had tits?
humble scuba: Here, child, suck the wine from my breast
dmizer: actually ... i just came here for the food.
humble scuba: food ==> breastwine
dmizer: lmfao
Nephtys
Love cake
Administrator
scd cult

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 08:12:54 AM »

Ah, allow me to elaborate. It works basically as if you ordered a new book on amazon, only it won't be mailed to you the traditional way, but it'll be downloaded to your kindle.
Quote from: Neph
No need to buy a wi-fi contract or locate a hotspot. Amazon's own WhisperNet sends you the book.
By this, I meant that you don't have to pay for the internet access to get the book, because the kindle doesn't use the internet. It uses "the same technology which advanced cell phones use" (G3?), so you don't have to find a hotspot or buy an internet connection or anything.

You still buy your books regularly and authors get their royalties, same as they did before. The only thing that changes is the reading format and the way how you purchase books.

humble scuba
What the F is /me?
Global Moderator
scd cult

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 12:21:35 PM »

So you have to spend $400 or some crazy amount on the software, and then pay full price for books?  Seems like a lot to me, for a mere convenience. 

Neph, I think you mentioned that this would save us money of the cost of regular books... how so?  Looks like it would wind up costing more, overall.

The Destroyer
Sailing the Cyber Seas.
Administrator
scd cult

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 04:19:27 PM »

DAMN!  I've been thinking of developing one of those for ages.  Stupid Amazon.  Oh well, nice to see they came out with one, if I get more e-books, or the make one comic-book size, I'll definately invest in one.

Like a bad case of Norwegian Wood.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!""
Nephtys
Love cake
Administrator
scd cult

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 04:40:37 PM »

Scuba: I meant in the long run, if you're somebody who buys lots of  books, you'll probably have found out already that books on amazon tend to be cheaper than books in a store. Simple question of overheads already.

Sure, if you buy that odd one book per month, the kindle really isn't worth it, because of the high initial cost of getting the device. But if you wait for a bit, until the (inevitable) price drop, and buy many books in general then it sure as hell is worth it.

I mean, I always buy amazon, cos it's just cheaper. Now this would (arguably) make the buying more convenient as well.

Schrodingers_Cat
tourist

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 03:33:45 AM »

The price is the thing that will really prohibit mass adoption.  Since it costs more than a Wii (and as much as an EeePC) it'll remain a niche product until the price comes down.  The sweet part is that the large pricetag covers an EVDO account which you can use to download stuff like blogs and periodicals.  I would think that would be a more attractive feature, but I guess it would depend on how much wireless you can get for your $400.  Either way, this is a concerted effort by Amazon to push E-books into the mainstream and it's probably just the beginning.
Sleeper
cajun mafia

Nice smile, right?

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 06:31:36 PM »

i can see this quickly replacing textbooks in schools in the near future. better than the popular plan of giving all students a laptop.

Only when you are able to win a staring contest with someone's picture will you receive my respect.
Nephtys
Love cake
Administrator
scd cult

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 02:17:57 PM »

true... in a way. But how would you go about furnishing your pupils with the necessary books? Will the school order them en masse and the pupils pay back the school? Will amazon have special deals for textbooks? There's questions over questions... So exciting!

humble scuba
What the F is /me?
Global Moderator
scd cult

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 02:50:14 PM »

Not sure exactly how much you know about this system, Neph, but maybe you can answer something for me:

When you purchase a book via Kindle, do you download the book directly to your computer, or is it saved to a database that recognizes that your account has purchased such and such books? 

At least, if you do have to download it, I should hope they keep a record of what you have bought in case your copy becomes lost or corrupted.  That's the one thing I think will eventually bring the price of e-Books way down: lack of tangible possession.  People aren't going to want to pay full price for more expensive books that can be corrupted, deleted, or lost so easily; I just don't think the value equates to holding a solid, hefty tome in your hands.

Sleeper
cajun mafia

Nice smile, right?

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 05:59:37 PM »

i think the Kindle works more on the internet level than the pad you have in front of you. if i got it correct, the library you have is based on the Amazon account. i know that any books you can't carry on your own is kept in their "warehouse", but i'm sure if your kindle becomes damaged they would replace the book.

i'm in the same boat as you, scuba. not completely trustworthy on anything i can't see. but society's moving in that direction. Netflick, Amazon, and the other Netflick clones have already become successful selling movies at around the normal price though it only exists in your account in the internet and only work with their media players. businesses in the cell phone biz have made a mint selling popular songs as ringtones though they technically can only be heard on your phone and disappear after 90 days. i'm not jumping in this wagon anytime soon, but it seems everyone else is.

humble scuba
What the F is /me?
Global Moderator
scd cult

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 06:04:35 PM »

Yeah, we are moving that way.  And it's not that I don't trust the lack of tangible possession, it's just that I don't think people are going to stand for paying $100 or more for a text book that only exists as a few megs of data.

Then again though, looking at the ludicrous tendencies people have with their money (like your example with online movies and ESPECIALLY ring tones), I could be way off the mark.  Maybe I give people too much credit, and they're really not that sensible.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS