Star Cross'd Destiny Community
November 09, 2007, 06:19:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News: Play Forum Games responsibly!!!  Officer Dmizer is watching!!!

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: On being a better artist  (Read 181 times)
defeKt0r
underpaid hobo

Re: On being a better artist
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 07:58:28 PM »

Quote from: dmizer on November 06, 2007, 03:12:46 PM
as for "proof of concept" perhaps it might be good to take a look at what kind of lives were lead by other great artists?

That's not what I meant.  What proof does this businessman have that his opinions on what makes a great artist (based on his client as they may be) true?

EDIT: Please excuse my aberrant behavior for a little while.  I am drowning a bout of depression in alcohol.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 08:00:28 PM by defeKt0r » Logged

/Systemic failure. Protocol breached./
/Rebooting.../
/Reboot failed. Host process terminated./
/Primary stack compromised. Routing through secondary./
/Unable to reroute core processes./
/System bypass imminent. Adjust byp₦&¤Δə
̊ΐΞ+failUre$¶†◊##myqSe7##rf≠◦∞□@
//End of AwarenessLog.18432//
Juno
ragin' cagun sparkplug!
Administrator
scd cult

ZOMG LOLRSK8Z!

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 08:22:06 PM »

Quote from: defeKt0r on November 06, 2007, 07:58:28 PM
EDIT: Please excuse my aberrant behavior for a little while.  I am drowning a bout of depression in alcohol.

You're excused.  As long as you share the alcohol!

PS - Stop being sad! *hugs for all*

[edit] Do not follow Juno's example by derailing the thread!  Juno es a bad example of administration and a good morale human being.

Desperado
cajun mafia

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 12:17:37 AM »

What makes an artist tell another artist if he or she is good or not either...ha HA!

"Unlike the humans, who call you beast, there is no violence in your heart. No hint of avarice, no smoldering hate! Yet man, who has won dominion over all this world, is a stranger to peace — a prisoner, caught in the web of his own nameless fears." - The Silver Surfer
Nephtys
The Pen Of The Future
Administrator
scd cult

I have t3h connection, biatch!

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 08:13:21 AM »

I'm afraid most of what I can do is rehash what has been said. I do agree with parts of this guy's list, insofar as they advocate experiencing the world. To touch on the most controversial points:

musical earplugs: Why not, but don't ALWAYS use them. If you're constantly running around deaf to the world, listening only to your choice of music, then again you're limiting yourself. Do listen in on conversations around you. I've found some great lines of dialogue that way. Of course dialogue is bollocks for an artist, but still you will hear conversations that evoke a certain mood you might want to draw.

travels and foreign languages: If you can do them, do them! I know a number of languages, and have been to a few places, and still I yearn for more. It's all about expanding your point of view. You meet new stuff. You see new ways of doing things. Like eating raw fish, eh dmizer? Jokes aside, my point is that again, the language and travel bit is against an attempt against limiting yourself.

The point really is to experience as many facets of life as you can. In that I'm merely rehearsing what has been said before. Be as alive and as outgoing as possible. Savour each and any experience. That, I believe, is very important.

Quote from: J-Pod by Douglas Coupland
You can't fake creativity, competence or sexual arousal. If you have none of these three attributes, then pack it in right now.
The Destroyer
Sailing the Cyber Seas.
Administrator
scd cult

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 03:28:13 PM »

Quote from: Nephtys on November 07, 2007, 08:13:21 AM
I've found some great lines of dialogue that way. Of course dialogue is bollocks for an artist, but still you will hear conversations that evoke a certain mood you might want to draw.

if you are an "artist" in the sense of drawing, sure, writers are still artists though.

Like a bad case of Norwegian Wood.
"You want a piece of me Megatron?" - Jazz
" I want two!" - Megatron
zizi
cajun mafia

do what tastes right

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 09:06:30 PM »

maybe the list should be changed to "how to be a more cultured person" instead of "better artist." i still find a lot fo the list very helpful but like the ipod; why not immerse in it every once in a while? you can get some amazing ideas from just music alone if you allow it.

i think a lot the things on the list is mean to help focus as well. with all the gadgets, tv, internet and just everything with life in general, it's hard to actually focus in on just some things and is probably some of the reasons why I haven't done much writing.

i say pick and choose to your lifestyle and needs; every person is different so obviously this entire list is not going to apply every aspiring artist.

on that note, what do *you* guys think make better artists?

Give CW some loving. Click here
to check out the Big Event.

zizi is in need of a writing friend. Be her buddy!!!!
dmizer
cold bunch of foogie
Administrator
scd cult

keeper of the sacred words: meh, bah, and indeed.

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 11:17:24 PM »

Quote from: defeKt0r on November 06, 2007, 07:58:28 PM
That's not what I meant.  What proof does this businessman have that his opinions on what makes a great artist (based on his client as they may be) true?
you've made an extremely valid point.  when considering information, it's critical to consider the source.  but by the same token, do you have to be a great artist to know some (if not all) critical elements which make great artists great?

for example, i can't write for shit (or at least, usually i can't anyway).  but that doesn't mean i can't teach fundamental writing concepts.  and in fact, i HAVE taught "fundamental concepts in creative writing" at the university level.  what's more, i taught to writers with far more talent than i ever even dreamed of having.  and ... they learned things from my class.

sure, he is only a business man, but he is able to stay in business BECAUSE he knows what makes great art great.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 11:22:10 PM by dmizer » Logged

You're like a fountain of information that noone cares to know. XP

jezus tits strikes again: NIPMATA!
Desperado
cajun mafia

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007, 11:44:52 PM »

Probably from a business stand point, they want an artist to have an image in order to appeal to those artists that wear thick rimmed glasses, drink coffee at their local starbucks and use the wireless internet at the starbucks.  Which in a way, is pretty smart.

"Unlike the humans, who call you beast, there is no violence in your heart. No hint of avarice, no smoldering hate! Yet man, who has won dominion over all this world, is a stranger to peace — a prisoner, caught in the web of his own nameless fears." - The Silver Surfer
Juno
ragin' cagun sparkplug!
Administrator
scd cult

ZOMG LOLRSK8Z!

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 11:52:46 AM »

Why you gotta be hatin Des?!  Gah.    *cleans thick rimmed glasses with spit*  heehee

I agree with Zizi - I'd think it more on how to be cultured than to be a great artist.  But I also agree with Dmizer since it's probably very true.  The man's in business because he knows what sells.  Expanded horizons sell and so does being a master of the craft.

Desperado
cajun mafia

« Reply #24 on: Today at 02:34:30 AM »

Didnt me to sound hateful but that was all from observation...it's ridiculous not to mention almost all the art students are pretentious and stuck up, also they think they're important enough to crap on a piece of paper and call it art, "It resembles the way I feel...*sips coffee out of a cup w/ a Starbucks logo*" I'm going to be an art student and it's going to be funny because I look like every other generic dude who likes his pizza hot with melted cheese and a can of Sam's cola who sits in front of his television watching family guy.

Wow cant believe I turned that into a tiny paragraph of nothing. lol

sludger
Global Moderator
scd cult

Bringing Nerdy Back

« Reply #25 on: Today at 11:10:09 AM »

haha, I like that post Desperado, it hits home.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." -Ghandi
Juno
ragin' cagun sparkplug!
Administrator
scd cult

ZOMG LOLRSK8Z!

« Reply #26 on: Today at 11:18:14 AM »

XD I know you weren't meaning to be hateful.  Hence, I winked.

I agree with ya.  Lord knows I wouldn't sport thick-rimmed glasses if I didn't have to wear them in the first place.   And I'm totally not a cool kid anymore.  I look like I work 8-5 at a desk of a corporate office because that's all the clothes I have left.  But I totally understand what you mean.  A lot of the kids I went to school with back in the day were like that.

zizi
cajun mafia

do what tastes right

« Reply #27 on: Today at 03:17:27 PM »

Quote from: Juno on Today at 11:18:14 AM
I look like I work 8-5 at a desk of a corporate office because that's all the clothes I have left.  But I totally understand what you mean.  A lot of the kids I went to school with back in the day were like that.

*sigh* seems like i'm heading that route and i'm not liking it one bit. 

Give CW some loving. Click here
to check out the Big Event.

zizi is in need of a writing friend. Be her buddy!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS