Star Cross'd Destiny Community
November 11, 2007, 01:42:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News: New York Anime Fest GUEST!!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 229 times)
zizi
cajun mafia

do what tastes right

NaNoWriMo
« on: October 20, 2007, 01:33:13 AM »

There was a topic way back in the day that talked about it: National Novel Writing Month. Every November, a website by the name www.nanowrimo.org/ that encourages those who are interested to write 50,000 words in one month. Sounds like a bunch but many people as it is stay indoors during November 'cause of the cold so why not? 'Cause of classes, I might not be able to do it but instead of doing the whole 50,000 word write I was going to try write at least a couple of hours each day to get me going for the entire month of November (which in my lifestyle is *major* commitment).

There's also communities and forums at the site and many start a blog specifically for their writing purposes so they can get feedback. It would be cool if SCD formed their own little circle of writer/bloggers so we have a steady group for crits and comments. I think it would be lots of fun!

What do you guys think?

Give CW some loving. Click here
to check out the Big Event.

zizi is in need of a writing friend. Be her buddy!!!!
Nephtys
Love cake
Administrator
scd cult

I have t3h connection, biatch!

Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 10:30:07 AM »

I think that NaNoWriMo is a brilliant way to get people to actually write and overcome inhibitions of whatever kind they may have. As such I also heavily encourage anybody of our community to just try and have a go at this.

As for an SCD feedback group, yes, by all means, the Stories and Scripts forum could do with a bit more attention. I think I've seen many a dusty spiderweb in there.

The only concern I have is how to best execute this. For the time being I'll just pin this topic with a few provisional suggestions, listed for easy reference:

• Post your NaNoWriMo material in a new thread in Stories & Scripts,
  • Mention "NaNoWriMo" in the thread title,
  • Keep all your NaNoWriMo material in the same thread.
  • Label new posts, that is, tell people whether you are posting an addition or an edit,
  • Divide criticism fairly, that is try to give as much as you receive.

Check back here for updates on how we are going about this. For now, I only have one more thing to say:

Start Writing!!!

EDIT: Forgot to say: Nice initiative, zizi!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 10:58:08 AM by dmizer » Logged

Quote from: J-Pod by Douglas Coupland
You can't fake creativity, competence or sexual arousal. If you have none of these three attributes, then pack it in right now.
Silverain
bourbon st drunk

wide-eyed mystified

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 03:37:10 PM »

I'm a member of the Hydrophobic Ducks, which is Seattle's name for our local NaNoWriMo chapter.  (The University of Washington campus group also calls itself this.)

This will be my fourth year doing NaNoWriMo.  In the previous three, I've won twice.  It's pretty awesome.  Wanna know more, I am your source for most things NaNo ...

Too bad we can't have write-ins since we live so far apart, but we can have word wars!  That's where you set a timer and compete to get more words than somebody else a designated time frame, usually somewhere between 5 minutes and 1 hour ... a lot of people like to do those over instant messenger.

Do NOT start writing before November, if you're planning to take the NaNoWriMo challenge!  Feel free to plot and plan, but starting your novel before 12:01 AM local time, Nov. 1 is cheating.  If I can make it, I'm gonna go to a kick-off party in my area; a lot of us like to get together late on Halloween night and begin right away when the starting gun goes off.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 03:39:26 PM by Silverain » Logged

Pancake Ninja
*Candidate for GNTP President*
Nephtys
Love cake
Administrator
scd cult

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 01:54:51 PM »

I guess I shall start writing on my freakin-ass long commute from Aberystwyth to Stansted Airport, as I'm going home for a week. Anyway, feel free to ask people's nano usernames here if you wanna hook up with anybody.

Mine's... well guess.

You can't fake creativity, competence or sexual arousal. If you have none of these three attributes, then pack it in right now.
Sleeper
Tortilla cheesemelt emperor
cajun mafia

Nice smile, right?

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 10:50:34 PM »

Quote from: Nephtys on October 21, 2007, 01:54:51 PM
Mine's... well guess.

timothy cruise? you seem like the type of having a pseudonym like that.

i signed upas honesttradesman. i didn't even try putting sleeper on there since it always seems prime to get taken sooner or later.

My mission in life is to get sedatives into your drink and make sure as hell that you get those eight hours of sleep.
zizi
cajun mafia

do what tastes right

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 11:19:03 AM »

thanks, Nephtys!

I've been meaning to do this forever and now that I'm in a storytelling class I feel like doing it even more. I call for all members to think about joining. maybe even a little publicity to get this thing going before November? Just saying, so we can at least have time to choose ideas and set up before the month starts. Anyways, I should have my account set up by this weekend when I have more available time. Cheesy

Mouse
scd cult

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 10:05:37 PM »

I am yet again going to attempt this. I am going to get a notebook and fill it with some random weird novel thing. Not sure of what. But..I always love doing this.

/insert something witty here.
Sleeper
Tortilla cheesemelt emperor
cajun mafia

Nice smile, right?

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 07:24:12 PM »

it's been five days since it's started. everyone doing pretty well?

My mission in life is to get sedatives into your drink and make sure as hell that you get those eight hours of sleep.
Silverain
bourbon st drunk

wide-eyed mystified

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 08:43:43 PM »

nah, I'm doing crappy.  Haven't written for three days.  I need to catch up.

I'll catch up tomorrow.  Got too much homework today.

Pancake Ninja
*Candidate for GNTP President*
Nephtys
Love cake
Administrator
scd cult

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 08:15:02 AM »

Ahem.

Well, I do have about a thousands words...

zizi
cajun mafia

do what tastes right

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 09:13:47 PM »

i have character writes and nothing more. and a wonderful idea and finals coming up ruining writing fun.  after doing some 3d modeling, i must at least make it to the 500 word mark (yes, i have little hopes) and post my username since i haven't set one up yet.

and mouse, nice to see you around! Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS