Star Cross'd Destiny Community
January 31, 2008, 11:32:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News: Play Forum Games responsibly!!!  Officer Dmizer is watching!!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bittersweet Daytonas...  (Read 867 times)
Juno
ragin' cagun sparkplug!
Administrator
scd cult

da starcross'd destinies you sweep under your feet

Bittersweet Daytonas...
« on: August 04, 2007, 11:18:10 PM »

So I haven't said anything but I have to get it off my chest.

When I moved my '89 Shelby Daytona stayed behind to continue getting worked on by the mechanic.  It was a small thing... an oil leak from the transmission.  I went back in June with the intent to put some miles down and spend some time and now, on top of everything else, she won't start.  Fuel delivery from what it sounded like... not battery or starter which had always been a problem.  There's a short somehwere... who can keep up?  But there was no time to fix it then - I had to leave back to Tennessee...  And now it won't get fixed for months.  She's just sitting there.

It's just made me a little sad or bitter over the last couple days.  I'm in Tennessee.  The car is in Texas.  My dad is in Wisconsin - the only person who was looking after the car.  It still has that terrifying problem of cutting off two fuel injectors when you're driving but not nearly as bad.  I just feel like she's getting hopeless... I can never ever get rid of her.  She's like Rally to me.  But it makes me sad... and I figured y'all could understand.

Anyone else had something similar like this?  I know it's probably a pretty random problem.

WaiWaiWario
Place your bets!
n'awlins local

Jolly Roger

Re: Bittersweet Daytonas...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 05:02:32 AM »

When I was a kid I spent a lot of time with my grandmother, she had an Oldsmobile Regency. She'd take me everywhere she went in that thing. Quality time with granny. So I had quite a few of those fond childhood memories involving that gargantuan maroon car. She gave it to me shortly before I turned eighteen for $300. I can't explain how excited I was. If I was given any other vehicle, yeah..that's nice...car. This one though, that was grandma's car..the car I used to ride to the grocery store in when I was a kid. Then out to eat sometimes if I was a good boy. I drove it around for about a year I think it was. Then the computer doojigger in it went nuts. When I finally had to park it untill I came up with the money to have it fixed it'd only run for a few minutes then die..always acted like it was out of gas....or five of the six spark plug wires weren't there. The little thing in the console told me I got three miles to the gallon. At least that part still worked. While I was busy saving up money, what I could anyway...I had no job at the time, mom had run out of money and taken out a loan...using the car as collateral. She never paid the loan company back so they eventually came and took the car. I'd still like to smack that woman for it. Stole my big maroon vessel of nostalgia. I cried ont he inside. Then went and got my current car for about $250. I expect that one to go for good while longer, if it doesn't..I'll be damned if I'll let anyone take it away. Even if I won't be able to get it fixed for whatever reason (most likely because the car is apparently too damned rare...because something about the engine was shitty..people didn't like them I guess..that and there supposedly weren;t very many made..) This one's in my name. Ha.

Is that a similar? Not so sure...I thought so.

[07:38:34pm 02/27] I'm talking about a twelve-storey crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpetting throughout, 24-hour portage, and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Capital R"
[07:39:05pm 02/27] That's how huge and shiny this R is
Photon440
street musician

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 02:59:30 AM »

Ah, I feel for you, Juno.  The anxiety of having a project car that's out of reach and in need.

You know, as old as that car is, you might be better off forgetting the trouble shooting and just putting in another fuel pump.  Something good, like a Walbro with 255 lph flow.  And if it's not getting power because of a short, then hardwire it to the ignition.  That should take care of your misfires as well.  And if not, at least you'll know that the fuel delivery is good, and you can look at the wiring on top of the injectors.

Besides, all that sitting around means the gas is getting stale, you should probably flush the tank and lines anyway.  Unless you dumped in some fuel stabilizer before parking it.

Hmmm, I have some injectors from an SRT-4.  I wonder if they'd work on your Daytona engine.  You could have them....

-=Photon=-

Quote from: Juno on August 04, 2007, 11:18:10 PM
So I haven't said anything but I have to get it off my chest.

When I moved my '89 Shelby Daytona stayed behind to continue getting worked on by the mechanic.  It was a small thing... an oil leak from the transmission.  I went back in June with the intent to put some miles down and spend some time and now, on top of everything else, she won't start.  Fuel delivery from what it sounded like... not battery or starter which had always been a problem.  There's a short somehwere... who can keep up?  But there was no time to fix it then - I had to leave back to Tennessee...  And now it won't get fixed for months.  She's just sitting there.

It's just made me a little sad or bitter over the last couple days.  I'm in Tennessee.  The car is in Texas.  My dad is in Wisconsin - the only person who was looking after the car.  It still has that terrifying problem of cutting off two fuel injectors when you're driving but not nearly as bad.  I just feel like she's getting hopeless... I can never ever get rid of her.  She's like Rally to me.  But it makes me sad... and I figured y'all could understand.

Anyone else had something similar like this?  I know it's probably a pretty random problem.

Faster is Better
Juno
ragin' cagun sparkplug!
Administrator
scd cult

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 10:29:05 AM »

Quote from: Photon440 on August 18, 2007, 02:59:30 AM
You know, as old as that car is, you might be better off forgetting the trouble shooting and just putting in another fuel pump.  Something good, like a Walbro with 255 lph flow.  And if it's not getting power because of a short, then hardwire it to the ignition.  That should take care of your misfires as well.  And if not, at least you'll know that the fuel delivery is good, and you can look at the wiring on top of the injectors.

Besides, all that sitting around means the gas is getting stale, you should probably flush the tank and lines anyway.  Unless you dumped in some fuel stabilizer before parking it.

Hmmm, I have some injectors from an SRT-4.  I wonder if they'd work on your Daytona engine.  You could have them....

!! You know, we haven't tried the fuel pump idea yet.  When I go down this fall I'll talk to my people and see what we can work out.

I'm not sure if SRT-4 injectors would work or not on there.  Tis a question for the turbomopar forums. *nods*  If they would work without mods and you're seriously okay with giving them up I'd be glad to have them.  That car and fuel delivery just seems to be a constant stab at my death.

Juno
ragin' cagun sparkplug!
Administrator
scd cult

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 11:09:43 AM »

So the craziest good news ever!

They found the problem finally.  All this time the issue has been intermitent so it was hard to really pinpoint it.  They found what caused the headbanging issue (two injectors shutting off at random) but not what caused it to occur in the first place.

Recently it got so that you couldn't even drive the car without having this problem.  They called the other day and told my pa that they had finally diagnosed the fuel delivery problem and that they were able to fix it.  Vacuum leak apparently.  I will agree that those can be a bitch to find.  But yeah!  She's all fixed on that plane - now they're just fixing some wiring that a rodent chewed up while she sat that's caused a really annoying short and makes the battery go dead.  But yes!  I totally thought I'd share.  It's a feasible thought that I may get my dream car back soon.  Though it has no paint anymore because my rents left it out in the sun but hey, it runs.  Paint I can fix, right?  (oooo bad SCD quote!)

dmizer
crusher of dreams
Administrator
scd cult

keeper of the sacred words: meh, bah, and indeed.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 05:53:04 PM »

rodent chewed wiring ... that always makes a day happy.

congrats.  hope to see pictures of you actually driving the thing.  maybe a video?

You're like a fountain of information that noone cares to know. XP

Juno
ragin' cagun sparkplug!
Administrator
scd cult

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 06:42:08 PM »

Quote from: dmizer on November 19, 2007, 05:53:04 PM
rodent chewed wiring ... that always makes a day happy.

congrats.  hope to see pictures of you actually driving the thing.  maybe a video?

Yes... Yes...

First I have to fix the damn camera.  Why am I always fixing things?

dmizer
crusher of dreams
Administrator
scd cult

keeper of the sacred words: meh, bah, and indeed.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 07:28:34 AM »

Quote from: Juno on November 19, 2007, 06:42:08 PM
Why am I always fixing things?

because you break them?
* dmizer ducks.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 07:31:47 AM by dmizer » Logged

You're like a fountain of information that noone cares to know. XP

Juno
ragin' cagun sparkplug!
Administrator
scd cult

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 03:49:54 PM »

Quote from: dmizer on November 20, 2007, 07:28:34 AM
Quote from: Juno on November 19, 2007, 06:42:08 PM
Why am I always fixing things?

because you break them?
* dmizer ducks.

You KNOW what I WANT to say to that?  DON'T YOU?  STDU.

*throws cop car while walking off*

Oscuro
street musician

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 01:30:15 AM »

Sweet, glad to hear it Juno....now get it back on the street, even in ugly paint....
....or strip
hee heeh, evil sleeper!

Photon440
street musician

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 11:42:24 PM »

That's great to hear, Juno.  Were there any rodent chewed vacuum lines as well? Smiley

Yeah...paint is something you can do anytime.

-=Photon=-

Faster is Better
Juno
ragin' cagun sparkplug!
Administrator
scd cult

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 11:53:07 AM »

lol - Dunno!  At this point nothing would surprise me though.

I'm hoping to get her out of the shop on Christmas Eve.  It's tradition in the Juno family of cars that all cars get released on Christmas Eve.  Two years strong now!

Aero
n'awlins local

Vega's ciggarete supplier....

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 10:11:50 AM »

Well ^^ That sounds really good that you might be getting your car back! Your car is your baby in a way...

Well since we're already discussing it.. My mom owns a blue ford ranger... little tiny thing... but I loved that car the minute she baught it.  The previouc owner had babied the thing so well! it even had an 8ball mold on the locks and reflectors on the pedals
6months later
Some asshole keyed my (I've sortof claimed it...) car (Took keys and SCRAPED them down the side of the car) And from constant use and no maintaining has become quite sad...

But DANGIT ITS MY TRUCK!!! I sit in the truckbed and stare up at the stars with my boyfriend in it for crying out loud T.T I'll never see why my mom let it get that way.... And also the transmission is all screwy now.... everything is 1 inch to the left...

So yeah... Thats my little story about the truck I'm yet to own... I just got my permit 8 weeks ago and I drove to yukon and back with no problem in a lumina! My sis was so jumpy though XD

but man! I hate it when people dont take care of cars or other peoples cars. I just don't like it!

once I get my baby (the truck) off my mom its getting a tune up, fresh paint job and a spray on bed liner..... and inside is going to be SCRUBBED!

Goodwish/badwish game

Aero: I wish I could meet Vega in person ^_^
Tyrone: granted!  he shows at your door with a cake.

Wow! Sure are nice people in teh world ^_^
tyrone
street musician

oooo.........gamervision

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 04:46:36 PM »

well areo you have to think about it. the way a car looks can tell alot about the person that drives it

warning: use of this product for extended periods of time may cause gamervision. side fx inclued: extreme discomfort & redness of the eyes, changes in vision,numness of fingers. if you experience any of these sidefx's turn off your gameing console & get out of the house!
(( no cure found yet ))
matrim
street musician

All I See Is Blackness... Oh Wait My Hood Is Down.

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 07:30:17 PM »

that is true. but also the way a person drives the car can also tell you alot about them.

In the night the shadows call
In the shadows one and all
The Dragon's four arise this night
Fire, Water, Earth, and Light

Long Live The Online Revolution!!!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS