Star Cross'd Destiny Community
October 12, 2007, 06:18:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News: HEY! WIPE THAT BOOGER OFF YOUR NOSE! 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: what book are you reading????  (Read 4331 times)
Mr. Mojo Risin'
street musician

Re: what book are you reading????
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2007, 11:44:26 PM »

Re-reading the Dragonlance novels..  or at least the main ones.  I'm on Dragons of Spring Dawning right now.

"That's what you get when you trust people. No candy at the end of the week."  Karolina
dmizer
BAH!
Administrator
scd cult

keeper of the sacred words: meh, bah, and indeed.

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2007, 11:01:29 AM »

just finished re-reading "for whom the bell tolls"

i first read that book in a graduate level literature course that was one of 18 credit hours of literature total immersion that semester.  i was so completely burned out, and i didn't remember much about the novel.  but holy crap what an ending.  slow to build, and really took a long time to draw me in, but past the 2/3's mark, i couldn't put the thing down.

it's interesting for me to read such an intricately woven story driven by character.  it's brilliantly done, and hemingway made that book read just like the way it should have.  i really got intimate with the characters.

started catch-22 in my ongoing quest to recapture some of those classics i blew through in college.

You're like a fountain of information that noone cares to know. XP

jezus tits strikes again: NIPMATA!
The Destroyer
Sailing the Cyber Seas.
Administrator
scd cult

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2007, 01:00:21 AM »

Well, I just finished MTG Invasion, Planeshift and Apocalypse in the last two weeks.  Now I'm on to Odyssey.

Like a bad case of Norwegian Wood.
"You want a piece of me Megatron?" - Jazz
" I want two!" - Megatron
humble scuba
Your most modest of aquatic enthusiasts.
Global Moderator
cajun mafia

The Cap Gun Cowboy Strikes Again!

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2007, 02:47:57 AM »

Well, since I can't sleep, might as well.  Lessee...

The Future is Ours, Graham H. May
Getting Things Done, David Allen
Strengths Finder 2.0, Tom Rath
A Short History of World War I, James L. Stokesbury
All Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Maria Remarque
Dune, Frank Herbert
Lisey's Story, Stephen King
Everything's Eventual. Stephen King
Quantum Reality, Beyond the New Physics, Nick Herbert
Prophecy (Book Two of the Symphony of Ages Series {formerly the Rhapsody Trilogy}), Elizabeth Haydon
The Eye of the World (Book One of The Wheel of Time), Robert Jordan
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J. K. Rowling
The Catcher in the Rye. J. D. Salinger

Think that covers everything.

As you can probably tell, I'm not one to get through any one book very quickly.  >_

dmizer: jezus tits
humble scuba: how hilarious would it be if jesus had tits?
humble scuba: Here, child, suck the wine from my breast
dmizer: actually ... i just came here for the food.
humble scuba: food ==> breastwine
dmizer: lmfao
Amy
Global Moderator
n'awlins local

« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2007, 04:44:15 PM »

The last book I've finished was do androids dream of electronic sheep, and I loved it so much that I immediately bought another book by Philip K. Dick- VALIS.
I read the first page and loved it as well. But the more the story evolved it stopped to strike me and now the book lies on my shelf. It's probably too much philosophy for me. In general I read books that are entertaining and not too heavy, this one is very well written and made me laugh several times but I need much concentration to get through the philosophic parts with Schopenhauer etc.. But I haven't given up, yet.

All Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Maria Remarque
I watched the black and white movie some years ago at school. It was pretty awesome if I remember it correctly. Sadly, we never watched it till the end. So the book is on my list of books that I want to read one day.

Sleeper
Wanna-be Neph imitator
cajun mafia

Nice smile, right?

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2007, 07:25:28 PM »

Catcher in the Rye is a really good one, humble. If you don't get through with that hefty list, that should be one of the ones you do get to. don't suggest reading it when you're in some cheerful and hopeful mood, though.

Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep was really excellent too. i should pick up another Philip Dick book sometime soon.

for now, i'm reading Something Wicked this Way Comes. really image filled and it's fun just to reread some pages just to get something you might've missed. Bradbury is always enjoyable to read.

Listen: all i want out of life is for my bank account to have 58,008 dollars in it, so that when i read my bank statement upside down, it says "BOOBS".

-Dinosaur comics
defeKt0r
underpaid hobo

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2007, 09:15:50 PM »

Listening to America: The Audiobook.  Because I can't be bothered to buy that textbook.

/Systemic failure. Protocol breached./
/Rebooting.../
/Reboot failed. Host process terminated./
/Primary stack compromised. Routing through secondary./
/Unable to reroute core processes./
/System bypass imminent. Adjust byp₦&¤Δə
̊ΐΞ+failUre$¶†◊##myqSe7##rf≠◦∞□@
//End of AwarenessLog.18432//
humble scuba
Your most modest of aquatic enthusiasts.
Global Moderator
cajun mafia

The Cap Gun Cowboy Strikes Again!

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2007, 09:58:46 PM »

Amy:  I think we're going to watch it in my history class, as well; or at least snippets of it.  I haven't gotten very far into it yet, so I can't really give you much of a review of the book.

Sleeper:  I plan on it.  I love Salinger.  Franny and Zooey is one of my all time favorite books; that last scene with the phone conversation about Jesus...  I loved it so much I used it as a monologue once for an audition for a high school play.  Needless to say, I didn't do it any sort of justice and wound up looking like the biggest dork there.  Which, when you consider the reality of that fact, is appropriate.

I love Bradbury, too...  I might have to add SWtWC to my list.

dmizer: jezus tits
humble scuba: how hilarious would it be if jesus had tits?
humble scuba: Here, child, suck the wine from my breast
dmizer: actually ... i just came here for the food.
humble scuba: food ==> breastwine
dmizer: lmfao
Sleeper
Wanna-be Neph imitator
cajun mafia

Nice smile, right?

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2007, 12:07:29 AM »

started (and finished) Jacob's Hand by Aldous Huxley and Christopher Isherwood. pretty good read for something not published around 4 decades after it was written and after both authors were cold in their graves.

feel like healing people with magic hands right about now.

Listen: all i want out of life is for my bank account to have 58,008 dollars in it, so that when i read my bank statement upside down, it says "BOOBS".

-Dinosaur comics
Nephtys
The Pen Of The Future
Administrator
scd cult

I have t3h connection, biatch!

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2007, 11:36:40 AM »

I'm actually not reading anything at the moment - which is unusual for me. I think it's the quiet before the storm though. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to read this year to help me with my CW degree. That means that in a week or two I'll probably go on a book buying spree. Wahey!

Quote from: J-Pod by Douglas Coupland
You can't fake creativity, competence or sexual arousal. If you have none of these three attributes, then pack it in right now.
Hello Nurse!
tourist

« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2007, 06:18:11 AM »

I just finished reading a romance series from J. R. Ward.  the Black Dagger Brotherhood.  romance meets vampires! yea!
so I almost didn't read this because the "Brothers" names are (and I'm not kidding) Wrath, Rhage, Vishous, Thorment, Phury, Zsadist, and Butch.  seriously.  The series turned out to be not that bad. good bit of action, good bit of hot steaminess.  Maybe I wasn't expecting much because of the names, so it turned out better than my low expectations.
Nephtys
The Pen Of The Future
Administrator
scd cult

I have t3h connection, biatch!

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2007, 02:01:39 PM »

Lol, these names! I would SO not have managed to take any of these characters serious...

Anyway, UPDATE: I bought some books. Right now I'm reading The Toyminator, which apparently is a sequel. Too bad I haven't read the first one yet though. Said first book has an amazing title though, so I'll have to go quest for it: Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse

Quote from: J-Pod by Douglas Coupland
You can't fake creativity, competence or sexual arousal. If you have none of these three attributes, then pack it in right now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS