Star Cross'd Destiny Community
October 12, 2007, 06:18:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News: Give Juno a wedding present and  VOTE!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Most liked/hated Anime?  (Read 1994 times)
humble scuba
Your most modest of aquatic enthusiasts.
Global Moderator
cajun mafia

The Cap Gun Cowboy Strikes Again!

Re: Most liked/hated Anime?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2006, 08:46:07 PM »

I don't think I can torrent on school comps... *pouts*

dmizer: jezus tits
humble scuba: how hilarious would it be if jesus had tits?
humble scuba: Here, child, suck the wine from my breast
dmizer: actually ... i just came here for the food.
humble scuba: food ==> breastwine
dmizer: lmfao
shandromand
street musician

Socially Maladjusted Misanthrope

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2006, 11:54:50 PM »

Well pm me an address and I'll send you the first ten episodes.  =P

"Lift up the receiver, I'll make you a believer."

shandromand
street musician

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2006, 01:09:00 AM »

Texhnolyze - TV Series 4

This has got to be one of the strangest, most interesting show I've watched so far.  There's very little in the way of speaking, but the story's still easy to follow.  The art isn't what I would call stunning, but it works very well with the high saturation and mixture of bright and dark colors.  The whole show is very surreal and reminds me alot of older anime.

Update:  Just finished the series, and talk about depressing ending!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 04:22:15 PM by shandromand » Logged

humble scuba
Your most modest of aquatic enthusiasts.
Global Moderator
cajun mafia

The Cap Gun Cowboy Strikes Again!

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2006, 03:04:45 AM »

Gungrave - Television Series  (4.5)

I saw a smidgen of this series a while back, and was interested to learn more; unfortunately, I'm lazy, so I didn't really find anything out about it until my buddy purchased the whole series on DVD and lent it to me.  I have awesome friends. ^_^

Anywho, I just finished the second disk last night, and now that the story has really established itself I am SERIOUSLY digging on this show.  I've even got an Australian friend of mine getting really pulled into it, and she hasn't ever seen anime before.  Obviously I think Brandon Heat / Beyond the Grave is my favorite character; I feel that I relate to him on a lot of levels.  Pissed me right the fuck off when he let Maria go, but only because I understood his reasons and likely would have done the same thing.  I'm very quickly coming to love Mika as a character, though; she reminds me of her mother (strange how sentimental I get about these characters, as though they're the people in my own life), but she's sharper.  Much sharper.  And spunky.  I have a feeling that Grave is going to end up falling for her before long.  He already has the protective instinct, and she reminds him so very much of her mother.

Necrophelia, FTW.

The only reason I didn't give this show a 5 is, well, at times the dialogue can be embarassingly overdramatic.  The story is great, the animation is awesome, the characters are very expressive and believable, but the dialogue is a little awkward at points.  That's the only real thing that bothers me about it.

(edit:  Forgot to mention that I also love the music selection.)

I do like the voices they cast for most of the characters, though.  I love that Bear Walken's voice actor is the same as Jet's (from Cowboy Bebop, my all-time fav anime), and I think that Brandon Heat's voice actor was cast perfectly.  If I'm not mistaken, the guy who does Dr. Tokioka is the same dude that does the old guy from Ghost in the Shell: SAC, which is also immensely cool.  So far, the only voice I haven't liked all that much was Sherry Walken's, especially the younger versions.  Just, too wispy and high-pitched.  Kinda grates on my nerves.  Pretty girl, but would have to gag 'er before I tagged 'er, if you get my drift.

Anywho, that's my take.  All this talking about it has gotten me jonesin' for some more; think I'll go break into disc three.

dmizer: jezus tits
humble scuba: how hilarious would it be if jesus had tits?
humble scuba: Here, child, suck the wine from my breast
dmizer: actually ... i just came here for the food.
humble scuba: food ==> breastwine
dmizer: lmfao
shandromand
street musician

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2007, 02:28:03 AM »

I know its been a while since I posted anything in here, but work is work, and precluded me watching much anime until recently.

Samurai Champloo - TV Series - 4

This series is very similar to Cowboy Bebop in flavor (except in 19th century Japan) - I'm fairly certain they even hired the same english voice actor that played Spike to do Mugen.  Plenty of action and not too overdone on the drama side.  Some mirrored themes - the characters are always broke, hungry, and willing to do just about anything to fix both problems.  Jin is an Iajutsu Master (single strike style), which has always fascinated me.  Mugen is just plain wild and unpredictable.  And Fuu?  Well, they had to put in the cute factor I suppose, but if you ask me, she's just as crazy as Mugen is.  If you like it bloody, or you just like the Bebop style, this is the show for you (so far - I'm halfway through it).

shandromand
street musician

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2007, 11:23:58 AM »

Double-posting for great justice!

Ergo Proxy - TV Series - 4

While it may seem like your typical last-bastion-of-humanity anime, it's still rather enjoyable.  But on the plus side, this show actually takes you out into the wasted lands outside Romdeaux (also Romdo I think), and despite the progressive story almost always leaving you with a sense of wtf-isms until the last show or two, the episodic stories themselves are usually simple enough to understand.  Definitely worth your time if you have patience.

Schrodingers_Cat
tourist

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2007, 06:37:43 AM »

Though a lot of ground has been covered already, here's a few more that haven't been, in a rough, chronolgical order:

Vision of Escaflowne - Series (2 seasons, 26 eps) - 3

This is old by today's standards, having first aired in '96.  That shows in the art.  It's sort of a giant robot anime.  Sort of because it's got the requisite giant robots, but they're like in a fantasy, alternate-Earth sort of deal that's more late medieval/steampunk than scifi.  It's an interesting tale with a distinct moral component and some memorable characters.  For me it just wasn't compelling enough to deserve more than a 3-star rating, I guess.  Maybe I just didn't like being beaten over the head with the protagonist's moral imperative, maybe I didn't dig the setting, or maybe the scratchy art grated on my nerves a bit much.  YMMV, of course.

Witch Hunter Robin - Series (2 seasons, 26 eps) - 4

A witch-hunting operation in modern-day Japan is the setting for this gem.  If you enjoy cool magicz, you may like this.  It follows a monster-of-the-week format for the first half with character development and some sly foreshadowing.  The second half kicks the plot into high gear and ultimately delivers a nice story.  The art is clean, the music is nice and the plot keeps the viewer guessing until the end.  If you can get past the first thirteen episodes, that is.

Full Metal Panic! - Series (2 seasons, 24 eps) - 3

A decent series that does a lot to blend a serious, giant robot anime with some high-school comedy (think Azumanga Daioh meets Mobile Suit Gundam).  I am neither a fan of giant robot anime, nor high-school comedy so I rated this one at a 3, but I did enjoy watching it, I liked the characters and I would recommend it to a fan of either subgenre.  It was followed by another series that focused entirely on the high-school comedy aspect, called Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, which I've never seen.  It was also followed by:

Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid - Series (1 season, 13 eps) - 4

The cast of FMP! comes back for more in a short sequel.  For the most part this was both darker and more serious than the original (all the kawaii went into Fumoffu), thus my higher rating.  The villain in this one is also hella cool.  If you like the first you'll probably enjoy the second.

Wolf's Rain - Series (2 seasons, 26 eps) - 2

This is a post-apocalyptic drama with sentient wolves as the main characters.  I didn't much care for the protagonists and, though the plot looked intriguing, that's what killed it for me.  I also didn't watch it all the way through, so take this advice with a [smaller than usual] grain of salt.

Scrapped Princess - Series (2 seasons, 24 eps) - 5

A curious tale this, Scrapped Princess is ostensibly a high fantasy series with adorably cute characters and pretty animation.  Somewhere along the way it morphs into a crazy, scifi bit with (you guessed it) midair, giant robot battles.  For some the mixing of genre is too much to bear, but I thought it played out very nicely and made for a great story with characters whom I really liked.  The other reasons I liked it so much included the exposition on various themes (duty vs. morality, fate vs. choice, et al) and the direction.  Some of the scenes are really well done.

Elfen Lied - Series (1 season, 13 eps) - 5

If you've taken a look at this you can be forgiven for having such a low opinion of my love for this show.  It's brutal, gory, and dark, gazing straight into the abyss of depravity while taking the viewer along for the ride.  It's also unabashedly cute and heart-warming in its own way.  Elfen Lied is concerned with the modern-day story of a strain of mutant girls who are remorseless killers with telekinetic powers.  In particular, it's the story of one such girl and her search for forgiveness and humanity.  While I do very much like it for its plot and the well done contrast between cuteness and savagery, there's a lot of metaphor and symbolism written in such that it's worth watching more than once.  Though, as I'd mentioned, I've met a bunch of people who really don't like this series.
Caveat spectator

Blood+ - Series (full year, 50 eps) - 5

A vampire anime loosely related to Blood: The Last Vampire.  This is my current favorite.  It's got it all, an engaging story, interesting characters (villains and heroes alike), beautiful art, wonderful music, metaphors, symbols, and some of the best scenes I've seen in any media.  The opening scene from the first episode (before the credits) was enough to reel me in and I watched the rest of the series rather ravenously all through the summer of 2005.  I love that opening scene and I'll probably watch it again after posting this.  The story follows a girl who hunts vampires (thankfully, sans giant robots) over three continents and half a dozen countries.  It's a relatively straightforward Hero's Journey tale with some twists thrown in for good measure.

Ghost Hunt - Series (2 seasons, 25 eps) - 3

I usually don't bother with young girl anime, but I'm a sucker for ghost stories.  If you like ghost hunting or stuff aimed at the target demographic, you may enjoy this.  It is cute and funny; light and fluffy entertainment for when you don't want to deal with anything too serious.

Darker Than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha - Series (2 seasons, 25 eps) - 4

Another near future series, this one is kind of like a mix of superhero and spy drama.  It focuses on a group working for some sort of crime syndicate who have super-powers at the cost of their humanity.  I wasn't thrilled by the ending, but the rest of it was quite good.  Bonus: this one has neither giant robots, nor high-school comedy.

The following series were manga or novels adapted to anime, so you may get more out of looking up the source than watching the cartoons:
Vision of Escaflowne
Full Metal Panic!
Scrapped Princess
Elfen Lied
Ghost Hunt

Enjoy.
Nephtys
The Pen Of The Future
Administrator
scd cult

I have t3h connection, biatch!

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2007, 01:58:25 PM »

Quote from: Schrodinger's Cat
I usually don't bother with young girl anime, but I'm a sucker for ghost stories.

You got your link wrong. You probably intended to write shōjo, right? the correct link would be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shojo

Nice addition to the list though. Also, I personally like Elfenlied.

Quote from: J-Pod by Douglas Coupland
You can't fake creativity, competence or sexual arousal. If you have none of these three attributes, then pack it in right now.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS