Star Cross'd Destiny Forums
Star Cross'd Destiny Forums
March 24, 2011, 03:08:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Topic Tools  
May 02, 2008, 10:39:15 pm #15
Silk

Re: Shakespeare

Eh, "emo"? Isn't it just tragic? I mean, it IS a tragedy, so it's sort of a given that something tragic happens, right? If you mean "emo" in such a generic way, then you're better off not using the term, and if you're using emo to mean tight jeans thick rimmed glasses and so on, then I'd have to say no. I imagine Hamlet's quite fashionable, actually, aside from wearing all black, but he's sort of in mourning, so you can't really blame him there.

OH CURSE THIS TOO TOO SOLID FLESH.

I'm obviously a Shakespeare fan, but if you are to criticize Shakespeare's originality, then I must say that there is no real "originality" in the sense that in some basic form any story has probably been written before. That said, yes, Shakespeare usually adapts plays. Merchant of Venice is a good example of this, and I will use this example, yes.

If you know the story, basically this Jew-guy doesn't like this Christian-guy, and Christian-guy doesn't like Jew-guy, so they're like, rawr, and then suddenly Christian-guy has a friend that needs money to woo some rich lady, but Christian-guy's money is all invested in trading ships, so he has to borrow money from the Jew (becuz lyke, all Jews lend money, mirite?) , and then the Jew's like, if you don't pay me back, I get a pound of your flesh, and they're like, sure whatevs.

As it turns out, all the ships explode (or seemed to at first), and Christian-guy's going to die, but fortunately his friend wooed his lady after passing a "test" where he has to choose between a Gold, Silver and Lead casket (Lead's the real one, duh), and he comes back with lots of monies, and then the Jew's like, TOO LATE, and doesn't want the money, until the "lady" in question pointed out a loophole where the Jew is allowed to take the flesh, but cannot take a single drop of blood.

FOILED, TAKE THAT, YOU JEW.

And essentially, this ENTIRE plot was "stolen" from "The Jew of Malta". I've studied Shylock somewhat extensively, and he's a real charm, but ALL BECAUSE OF SHAKESPEARE.

In the original, the Jew was casted as a sterotypical... Jew. His reason for choosing the merchant's life over money was due to pure malice.

Under Shakespeare's hand, his emotions became complex, he came alive, and became one of the most powerful and iconic characters ever.

"Signior Antonio, many a time and oft
In the Rialto you have rated me
About my moneys and my usances: 435
Still have I borne it with a patient shrug,
For sufferance is the badge of all our tribe.
You call me misbeliever, cut-throat dog,
And spit upon my Jewish gaberdine,
And all for use of that which is mine own. 440
Well then, it now appears you need my help:
Go to, then; you come to me, and you say
'Shylock, we would have moneys:' you say so;
You, that did void your rheum upon my beard
And foot me as you spurn a stranger cur 445
Over your threshold: moneys is your suit
What should I say to you? Should I not say
'Hath a dog money? is it possible
A cur can lend three thousand ducats?' Or
Shall I bend low and in a bondman's key, 450
With bated breath and whispering humbleness, Say this;
'Fair sir, you spit on me on Wednesday last;
You spurn'd me such a day; another time
You call'd me dog; and for these courtesies
I'll lend you thus much moneys'?"

Just READ it, just READ it, and imagine a real character saying it. Imagine a talented actor saying it with real emotion, look at the changes in rhythm and pace. This is NOT stereotypical villain A seen in the Jew of Malta. In the Jew of Malta, the Jew didn't even have a name.

Shakespeare is a genius. He is also a sellout, but afterall, whether he cares about artistic integrity or not (probably does) is irrelevant, because he had to make money, and he decided to take ideas that work. While doing so, he injected stories with real personality, he injected them with his genius.

Aside from characters, the main reason Shakespeare's a genius is his command of the language. Why does Shakespeare not work in foreign language? And believe me, it DOESN'T.

Because it's Shakespeare. It's a bit archaic, and hard to grasp if you haven't watched the play before or if you're unused to Elizebethean plays, but be that as it may, he is a literary genius. It may be outdated now, but the fact that he was great is indeniable.

Sorry for the tl;dr. =P

February 23, 2011, 02:49:32 am #16
monmilk

Mouse Pads

During a 1968 presentation by Douglas Engelbart marking the public debut of a mouse,[1] Rift gold used a control console designed by Jack Kelley of Herman Miller that included a keyboard and an inset portion used as a support area tera power leveling the mouse.[1][2] According to Kelley[3] and also stated by Alex Pang,[4] Kelley designed the first mousepad a year later, in 1969.
benefits of the introduction of the mousepad were higher speedrift platinum more precisionrift account rift account comtera goldt starcraft 2 guide rift gold user. A secondary benefit was keeping the desk or table surface from being scratched rift account worn by continuous hrift power leveling and mouse rubbing motion. Atera goldher benefit was reduction of the collection of debris under rift gold mouserift platinum which resulted in rift platinum jitter of the pointer on sc2 guide display.
When optical miceblade and soul cd key which use image Tera Power Leveling  to detect movement, were first introduced into the marketrift power leveling sc2 guidey required special mousepads with optical patterns printed on them. Modern optical mice tera cd key function to an acceptable degree of accuracy on plain paper rift cd key other surfaces. However, some optical mouse users may prefer a mousepad tera power leveling comrift goldt, speed blade and soul gold accuracyrift cd key rift account to prevent wear to rift gold desk or table Tera Gold.
[edit] Types
A Tera Gold.
After the steel mouse ball was given a silicone rubber surfacerift account rift gold popular rift platinum-surface mousepad was found to be rift gold most appropriate. It helped keep the rubberized roller-ball surface cleaner rift power leveling gave better trackingblade and soul cd key speed rift account accuracy than just a desk surface. Such surfaces collected dirt which was then deposited onto rift power leveling internal rollers that picked off ball movement. Dirty rollers caused erratic pointer movement on the screen.
Early types of optical mice have the Rift Power Leveling of blade & soul power leveling working well on transparent or reflective surfaces such as glass or highly polished wood. These surfacesrift platinum which often include desk and table surfacesrift platinum cause jitter rift cd key loss of tracking on rift gold display pointer as the mouse moves over these reflective spots. sc2 guide use of mousepads with precision surfaces eliminates spot jitter effects of older rift cd key/or low-quality optical Tera Gold.
[edit] Materials
Modern mousepads are Rift gold made of lesser density rubber composites (open cell styrene, butadiene rubber or open cell SBR) with fabric bonded to the upper surface. However,Mouse Pads, many other types of material have been used,Asha Catari , including fabric, plastics, recycled rubber Tera Power Leveling, neoprene, silicone rubber, leather, glass, cork, wood,女性最宜饮的八种花茶, aluminum, stone and stainless steel. High-quality gaming mats are usually made from plastic, glass, aluminum or high-tech fibers.

Pages: 1 [2]
Jump to:  

theme_by Webtechnica.net
MySQL PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.12 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC XHTML 1.0 CSS