convention artists community
January 19, 2009, 10:15:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 1. Yearly sales tax is due!!! Janurary 20th!  TWO DAYS LEFT!!!   Don't forget that you can do it online!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New artist, tons o' questions.  (Read 115 times)
lizzeh

View Profile
New artist, tons o' questions.
« on: January 13, 2009, 09:54:33 AM »

Okay, I feel so stupid posting this, because I feel like I should know some of this stuff. I am at a total loss.

I have had an artist's table once before at Otakon, but I shared it with 2 other artists and did little to nothing in the way of setting up and registering (the table was given to us for free by the con). So all this I hear about getting a tax permit and such is totally new to me. I've tried to scour the forums to find the registry website, but I couldn't find it.
EDIT: I found the topic. =B derrr.
Also, do you have to do it before the 20th, or is that just for a renewal?

The table myself and my friends are trying to make is also a little different than I've done. Before, all I sold was art. Now we want to sell actual accessories like hats, headbands, armwarmers, etc. The problems I'm running into are 1.) displaying the pieces (they don't look too good just kinda laying out, and pictures can only show so much), and 2.) how many of each to make. I don't want to run out early, or even worse, make way too much and be stuck with a ton at the end of the con.

If anyone has any answers or suggestions, I would love any sort of feedback. I'm a bit new to sewing as well, so any tips on efficiant ways of producing simple accessories or good fabrics to use would be awesomesauce. I usually go to Hanrooster or Hobby Lobby for my mats, but sometimes Joann's if I'm desperate.

Thank youuuu~
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:04:40 AM by lizzeh » Logged
Steven Heinrich
Inspiring Others to Find their Voice
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
Re: New artist, tons o' questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 10:38:42 AM »

First, never feel stupid asking ANYTHING on this forum!!

I had this forum created specifically for new the new convention artist to be able to ask any question and receive a valid answer without any flames or condescending remarks.

We welcome any questions you have, because for every one artist that actually speaks up, there are 5 in the background feeling too intimidated to say anything.

"All glory comes from daring to begin."

My personal website:
http://whipsforeplay.com/
Starrydance

Kupo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 02:30:59 PM »

Welcome!

Sad to say, Display and How much to Make are the hardest questions to answer AND a very personal one too - what works for me isnt necessarily going to work for you!

For the most part, I see the Felt Hats + Accessory people acutally do just lay it all out on the table - maybe use some baskets or whatnot.  Seems they do fine!

Theres the other option of getting those mesh cubes from Target/Walmart (the ones that connect together into squares) thats very popular in the Circuit and quite inexpensive and modular as well!

Its always been my argument make as much as you can, because theres in general always another con (unless you do one a year).  However, in general the number everyone loves seems to be '10'.  Basically, you can also consider how much does it cost you to go to the convention - room, table, food - how much supplies should more or less be - fabric and time spend - and what goal you are trying to reach money wise.

Then make more or less that + some, maybe even double that in value. Or make more of the stuff you know will work, and a handful of 'new' things to test them. 
lizzeh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:53:57 PM »

Thanks! That's really helpful. We went over the variety of stuff we're going to make, so we'll probably have just a few of each just to test the waters, and make a more steady amount if it works out.

Also, I had a licensing question. I know selling licensed stuff is a no-no, but my friend wanted to cross-stitch pictures of Pucca, Hello Kitty, etc. on different materials. If the reference picture used is one made by the companies (Sanrio, etc), but it is made in an alternative medium, is that still disallowed? Or is it considered fanart?
Starrydance

Kupo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 06:19:24 PM »

Ah, the other great greyarea question!

In general, never EVER make what is already available (like, say World of Warcraft Class Buttons) - recall that to a large extent selling fanart is considered on the edge of the law anyway.

The cross stitch is prolly fine, I see that a lot.  However, just always be aware the company could decide 'Do Not Do This'.  Like Disney! Just dont do it! =p
Spizzy
NEWSFLASH: I'M MEAN
Administrator
Board Overlord

UPDATE: STILL MEAN!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 09:37:57 PM »

Quote from: lizzeh on January 13, 2009, 05:53:57 PM
If the reference picture used is one made by the companies (Sanrio, etc), but it is made in an alternative medium, is that still disallowed? Or is it considered fanart?

If I were to be the judge I would probably say no. We had someone else that asked about pictures already made by the company that they would etch into another medium but since it was too much like the original (being that the picture was copied even if my eye), we decided it was not allowed. You could still use that reference, but don't copy it exactly--create your own design pattern of that character. Since you are cross-stitching into something, it's likely that even if you emulate the style, it won't be mistaken for official merchandise (which is the big question you have to ask yourself when you make something of similar style/pose of characters)

Chrislea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 11:07:18 PM »

Cross-stitching images of kanji or traditional samplers with anime/gaming-themed expressiong instead of the usual "Home, Sweet Home" might go over well with customers, and wouldn't be risky on the subject of copyright.  ^_~
lizzeh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 12:07:16 PM »

Thanks, Chrislea, that's a really good idea. =) We may do some of those.

And also thanks to Spizzy. We'll see if we can tweak the designs or do something unique with them to make it less... borderline. lol
Spizzy
NEWSFLASH: I'M MEAN
Administrator
Board Overlord

UPDATE: STILL MEAN!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 10:50:18 PM »

good luck Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: