convention artists community
January 19, 2009, 11:07:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 1. Yearly sales tax is due!!! Janurary 20th!  TWO DAYS LEFT!!!   Don't forget that you can do it online!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Credit Card accepting for small businesses: ProPay  (Read 1160 times)
Steven Heinrich
Inspiring Others to Find their Voice
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
Credit Card accepting for small businesses: ProPay
« on: October 21, 2008, 03:21:49 PM »

While not 100% perfect by any means, it looks like it has been built so that smaller businesses (such as those that are part of Artist Alleys) can benefit from taking credit cards without the nightmare of dealing with the red tape of banks or the standards applied to high income businesses.

http://www.propay.com/

The basic account is $100 for the machine (current $50 discount from $150) and accepts Visa/Mastercard and is $35 a year.  The little unit can hold up to 72 transactions off line, or can be hooked up to a computer with internet access to process directly for each transaction.

http://www.propay.com/account/
Shows all the account levels.

A video that describes it a bit better:
http://www.propay.com/promo/ProPayPresentation.aspx

"All glory comes from daring to begin."

My personal website:
http://whipsforeplay.com/
Steven Heinrich
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
Re: Credit Card accepting for small businesses: ProPay
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 03:26:18 PM »

Personally, when I had someone take credit cards for me, I saw $390 that I would not have seen otherwise.  I know other people that have seen triple that amount in business increases when adding in the option to take credit cards.

It makes a big difference right at the end of the convention, especially if the customer has run out of cash on hand or even better, their parents come to pick them up and they drag them over to your booth.  If you can turn to the parent and say "Yes, I take Credit Cards..." you mostly likely scored a bigger sale than you would have had with just the child alone.

My personal website:
Starrydance

Kupo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 07:24:39 PM »

I've been eyeing this more and more seriously, thanks for sharing it Steven!
Spizzy
NEWSFLASH: I'M MEAN
Administrator
Board Overlord

UPDATE: STILL MEAN!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 09:52:14 AM »

this..actually looks like quite a worthwhile investment. I won't be going to another convention until A-kon unfortunately, so this may be necessary to make up for the two conventions I'll be missing.

Starrydance

Kupo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 10:18:32 AM »

A few things to note, reading through the page:

It appears that the hand held card reader and the account yearly fees are separate. It also appears they will charge an inactive fee if the account being used, on a monthly basis, so those of us that would use this 3 or 4 times a year would have to keep an eye on that.

Otherwise, the amounts they take out are fairly comparable to Paypal and obviously the ability to take Credit Cards would boost a lot of our businesses - but is it worth the ( hypothetically ) $100-$200 per year to do so? ^_^

If I was just doing Akon next year I dont think I would nab it - without much more study.  Im also fairly worried about the overall concept of saving up all that data for later - as I tend to be the Glitch Queen around technology - and have heard enough horror stories about folks using already full credit cards and not knowing/caring at Conventions.
Spizzy
Administrator
Board Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 03:36:30 PM »

well poop. perhaps not then, lol.

meauho
I am the Great and Powerful OZ
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 03:57:29 PM »

Another option allows you to still use paypal/ other online merchants.

I don't have a desktop computer - I'm 100% on a laptop.
So... instead of being tied down to a wall somewhere, I have a Sprint internet device.

I can plug it into my laptop and get internet anywhere.

Opal's Mom uses AT&T for the same thing (though she's had issues with them and it).

Joshua Andrade
Board of Directors, Atsuicon
www.atsuicon.com

"New ideas are always suspected, and usually opposed,
without any other reason but because they are not already common."
- John Locke
Starrydance

Kupo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 04:05:17 PM »

Yes, we have access to an "Air Card" (whatever that means) so can use the internet/card reader if they can be used live. So this might work really well for us just more research is needed. =3

I've tried to use Paypal live before, its pretty fussy and takes a lot of input and folks dont generally want to stand still that long =3

Also if you get a certain level of the First option, you can input the info over the phone - not 100% sure how secure that all is but its something to think of.
Steven Heinrich
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 10:27:49 AM »

On the Paypal issue...something to be aware of, if you don't already know...

E-bay owns Paypal...no big news, BUT

they are pushing Propay as they are blocking many other types of payment on E-bay.

Deduction would indicate that they have some type of interest in it, since E-bay doesn't push something that will profit someone else, unless they have a vested interest in it.  I'm betting this will replace the mobile Paypal credit card slot.
------------------------------------------------------------------

***A Message from Dinesh Lathi: Paperless Payments and Seller Standards***     

October 21, 2008 | 11:01AM PST/PT

Paperless Payments Required
eBay's new Paperless Payments policy will roll-out this week. That means sellers will no longer be able to list an item without one of the approved electronic payment methods: PayPal, credit or debit card payment to a seller's merchant account, or ProPay. You can also offer Pay on Pickup in addition to these payment methods. If you don’t already, you should add at least one of the approved electronic payment methods to your listings immediately so they aren't blocked when you relist. Once the new policy rolls-out, prohibited payment methods will no longer be displayed in the Payment Details section of the item page.

* Listing with ProPay
      When the new Paperless Payments policy rolls-out, you’ll be able to sign-up for a ProPay account and link it to your eBay account, so you can begin offering this payment option to your buyers. For more information, go to www.ProPay.com.

My personal website:
meauho
I am the Great and Powerful OZ
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 03:25:41 PM »

They bought ProPay in September

Joshua Andrade
Board of Directors, Atsuicon
www.atsuicon.com

"New ideas are always suspected, and usually opposed,
without any other reason but because they are not already common."
- John Locke
Spizzy
Administrator
Board Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 12:27:17 PM »

well if ebay owns it, forget it. Ever since they bought paypal it's a huge piece of crap and a pain in the ass. Ebay is just going bad in general -_-

Hastur
Head Cultist - Cult of Cthulhu
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 10:11:03 PM »

I live, die, and swear by ProPay.  I went for the $60/year option and have NEVER had a problem with them. 

I don't use the reader at this time, and probably won't for another year or two - at least until I am doing one show every other month.  Most of the time, however, I just run the days receipts on whatever internet connection I can get my hands on, and call it done.  It's been brilliant most of the time.

"I'm not paid enough to be nice."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: