convention artists community
March 31, 2008, 03:02:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 1. A-Kon AA is sold out - Register for Wait List http://gwyden.com/akon/aasignup.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: A lesson to learn...watch who you badmouth...  (Read 780 times)
Steven Heinrich
Inspiring Others to Find their Voice
Administrator
Super Hero Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 09:23:11 PM »

Just so people understand the nature of my "Play with fire" comment.

The statement made by these people was a false legal accusation that could have long standing repercussion's for someone's family.  The statement was attributed to me, and that is annoying, but it was the actual statement made about the other person and the extreme nature of it, in a legal aspect that is the issue.  What they said about this person goes FAR beyond calling someone a jerk or biased, which is I why I felt it necessary to put up a posting.  The person attacked did not deserve to be treated in such a manner.

They didn't just throw a brick in a glass house, they set up a catapult, and tossed a load of dynamite, and the victim has some very powerful friends. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 09:25:40 PM by Steven Heinrich » Logged

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out.  It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being.  We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
-Albert Schweitzer
bigbigtruck

strawberry in an ostrich throat

View Profile WWW
Re: A lesson to learn...watch who you badmouth...
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 01:47:33 PM »

Thanks for addressing this, meauho. Smiley

I dunno if I can make it to Atsui 08, but I will definitely keep this in mind.

Again, thanks Smiley

I can has backpart? I can has peach?
Im in ur rolled trousers walkin on ur beach
bassanimation

Yay, has part of table!

View Profile WWW
Re: A lesson to learn...watch who you badmouth...
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 12:37:17 AM »

Wow, I just saw this thread, and I'm actually really glad to know I'm not alone with my AA problems. 

For the past 2 years we have had consistent problems with a few shows.  I've attended Akon for about 15 years now, and sold or showed in AA most of those years.  My biggest problem with the alleys is simply getting help, from real staff.  We've not made it into two important shows just because of lack of understanding or organization on the part of the staff.  I remember last year, asking one manager in person if I could sign up for a local con held in February.  He simply gave me his card and told me to email him after the show we were at and he'd help me out.  Yeah, no.  No table for us.  What he failed to tell me was that there were only a few tables left.  I dont know why he wouldnt just take my cash and let me sign a sheet right there.  Sad 

Overall, conventions have little appeal for myself and my friends now, at least as fun getaways.  The rambunctious kids make it very difficult to actually enjoy things.  They bring their own problems to the alley as well.  I dont know how to fix it without being unfair.  If I were to ever run an alley, man, I'd be such a ball-buster on people who just want to loiter at tables and do nothing, hahaha. 

Another thing I'd like personally, is to have dedicated staff members watching the alley at all times.  We have had endless trouble finding staff when we needed help in the worst ways.  We had a shoplifter, loud noises, kids who had their -entire family and friends' family- behind their table.  I feel really bad because we tend to complain alot about poor behavior at cons.  But, for people who are serious artists, comikers, jewelry people, these conventions help us make a living.  It really hurts when the show is a bust due to lack of management and unruly behavior. 

I try to be as professional as I can under pressure.  I never mention any names because I dont really know names.  I know one name, but someone else has already crossed that bridge on this post, and  I will steer clear of it  ^^;.  I can only say that I agree, this person's style of managing the alleys is less than perfect. 

I just want a table.  At every Texas con.  I love to see people smile when they see something they like.  It's a really cool experience to connect with people who really like what you do.  Smiley  It makes all the hard work totally worth it.

***Thank you to generous person for offering a part of your table to us!  {hug}***
Would still like to remain on wait list, just in case someone cancels.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: