convention artists community
December 10, 2007, 01:21:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2.  Submit your work using Copic Markers to their online gallery

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A lesson to learn...watch who you badmouth...  (Read 358 times)
Steven Heinrich
Inspiring Others to Find their Voice
Administrator

View Profile WWW
A lesson to learn...watch who you badmouth...
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:11:54 PM »

This will probably be a hot bed topic, and I would advise to NOT using direct names or confrontations.

If you want to make a point, use an example, or a "hypothetical" situation.

For all of you that are brand new, the greatest piece of advice I can pass on is to watch who you bad mouth.

We all make mistakes, and I've made my share too, BUT I learned my lesson, made my amends and matured.

There people on the circuit that simply don't understand the concept that if you continue to prod a rattlesnake, that snake will eventually strike you (and will most likely do you a great deal of harm).  These are people you need to be leery of.  Do not allow yourself to be manipulated.

They continue to verbally assault individuals, other artists, conventions, and some people in power behind the scenes.

This is NOT the same as critiquing or stating your opinions, that is part of the industry. In fact, that is why this forum exists...it is a place where you can speak your mind (hopefully culling the cuss words) and not face retaliation.

If you make statements as to someones personal life, drag their name through the mud, elect to organize a "consortium" to affect a particular set of artists (blacklisting) or conventions in an area you are setting yourself up for a backlash.

What prompted this posting was someone making completely false accusations oriented on someone's personal life, because they felt slighted, due to a circumstance which they themselves created.

People talk in this industry.  The person whose face that you spit in today, may have the ear of the person that controls if you will someday be a guest at a convention.

Speak your mind, but do it professionally.

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out.  It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being.  We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
-Albert Schweitzer
pinkfairywand
PINKU GEEKU
Global Moderator

BEARS. BEETS. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 12:34:40 AM »

Yes, please, censor yourself both online and in real life. It's always better to err on the side of caution. But on the flip side, don't censor yourself out of fear of irrational and uncalled for retribution. Don't be afraid to share your opinions, professionally if at all possible. Be polite to other artists -- and understand that if you have disagreements that doesn't mean you won't be able to get along.

Hypothetical situations sound like a great idea!

So let's say there's this guy who has slowly taken over all of the anime convention artists' alleys in Texas -- let's call him Lowtower.

What really bugs the living starch out of me is that so many artists tiptoe around sharing their terrible experiences with him in a public forum, to the con head of whatever con he's running, or to him in person. The fear of getting blacklisted from an ANIME CONVENTION is very real, and so I understand the concern, but sitting idly by and trying to fly under the radar is simply CONDONING the unprofessional and immature situations.

I've stuck my neck out many times by making it clear that I'm unhappy with the way that Lowtower runs his alleys, and I've had NOTHING but trouble getting tables at cons since then -- because he runs them all. Whether he runs them because he "volunteers" to take it over after the alley director that he assigned flakes out, or because he's friends with the con head; either way he's still taking over every alley in the state of Texas.

Had I kept quiet like most artists, I would have significantly less problems with registering at alleys. But there's just no good reason why I should be afraid of a 40-year-old man who draws Cloud and Sephiroth in diapers, and I can't think of any reason why I should let him treat artists the way he does. I have to admit that it feels pretty crappy to know that you're the only one to blame for your problems. My husband has begged me to just fake a smile and suck up to him, but I just can't. Someone really has to stand up to this sort of childish behavior, although I really would rather it be plural rather than singular.

Honestly, I'm not trying to sound like a pioneer or like a melodramatic drama queen. I just can't stand how people censor themselves about topics that are not censor-worthy, such as stating their opinions based on real experiences, because they're afraid of being blacklisted for saying things that aren't libelous, slanderous or even offensive.

The problem is that a lot of people in the con circuit base their entire self-worth on how many people glomp them at cons, and *hug* them online. When someone tells them something that isn't followed by a ^_^ face, or that they're doing business poorly, they take it personally. Clearly it's a slight against them, and they react with irrational anger because hey, people like to glomp/*hug* them so to hell with the naysayers. Except it's NOT a personal slight, it's just BUSINESS.

But it's my strong belief that Lowtower is doing what he's doing because he desperately needs friends and enjoys the power trip. He wants everyone to like him, to know him, to have to ask him permission to get a table, to be able to hook up his friends and to block his enemies. Enemies, of course, refer to anyone who doesn't ^_^ at him, and that's just not the way to do business. Yes -- it's a business. We're all in business for ourselves, and when he treats any of us like red-headed step-children, that's affecting our business. Unfortunately, most cons don't care that the head of their AA is being shady, which leaves it in our hands.

Maybe I should have made this a little more vague, but then he reads this forum and would know who I was talking about anyway. Hello Lowtower!

pinkfairywand hooray
augh what
kill yourself ya rly
Global Moderator

i hate you all ^_________^

View Profile
Re: A lesson to learn...watch who you badmouth...
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 12:54:52 AM »

good advice

I agree with this entirely. My frustration with Artist Alleys at conventions is that persons in charge do NOT treat artists as businesses, but as attention-grabbing jerks who need to boob-flash for places in line. I'm not an attention grabbing jerk, I just want to make money at a damn convention. Sadly, many artists (anime artists are particuarly guilty of this) do not have the balls to ACT as businesses and demand genuine respect as opposed to juvenile online glomping and other such garbage.

It's actually fairly depressing to me that so many anime artists are willing to take part in the "WAI WAI SUGOIIII ^____^" community and put up with online trash talk rather than grow a pair to help clean up the Alley community's standards. In the end the people that suffer are the artists, while jerks who abuse the system enjoy pocketing some extra cash and power-tripping on artists too ignorant or meek to speak up.

It's not personal, it's just business.
Spizzy
NEWSFLASH: I'M MEAN
Administrator

UPDATE: STILL MEAN!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 10:39:10 AM »

What really bugs the living starch out of me is that so many artists tiptoe around sharing their terrible experiences with him in a public forum, to the con head of whatever con he's running, or to him in person. The fear of getting blacklisted from an ANIME CONVENTION is very real, and so I understand the concern, but sitting idly by and trying to fly under the radar is simply CONDONING the unprofessional and immature situations.

I've made statements online and in person, privately and publicly that were not slanderous in any way showing my distaste for how things are being run in this not-so-hypothetical situation. They have not been very strong statements, because of the fact I was trying to still have some tact, but it's still been said and if anyone wants things to change, they should SPEAK UP but only if you can do such maturely. You can not like a person and still get along with them. That's what being professional is about. It's not being two faced, it's being a mature adult.

I know you read this forum so I'm sure you've known my thoughts about you for awhile.

bigbigtruck

strawberry in an ostrich throat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 05:15:40 PM »

So... what brought this on, specifically?

I can has backpart? I can has peach?
Im in ur rolled trousers walkin on ur beach
tkawaii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 06:22:43 PM »

Well mostly, I stick to cons that I know have a good rep of the head of AA. Why? cause I know full well that too many artists have very low self confidence to do what they got to do. So in my opinion, I dont bother fighting a fight when I can take my business else where. After all, the biggest statement you can do is to not hand over money, like what happend at otakon (the people are nice, they just confussed a lot of people but was quick to act, so this is a con I go to.)

I tend to look that over at how a con generaly opperates, if one thinks that the AA is not important, then most likely many of the con will have problems...

But this is my thing.. (I dont know the persons' name anyways)

I like going to this specialized con, the only con that I tend not to get a table cause the panels really interest me. This pass year, I got a table... I told the AA head that if anyone still wants a table, they can have mines for saturday and sunday.  He comes over and askes why. I said, because I'm an adventist so I cant come for saturday and sunday, I have a panel to do.

Now this is where it comes strange. There is a lot of stuff that goes around about christens being mean/stuck up/pushy. I had a small crowd behind him so I didnt want to 'prove' that notion any further. Not that I cared about him, it was my customers. I dont want to scare them off. He presumes to denies/twist my faith into reasons why 'it's good' for me to come saturday cause 'god wants me to have good health and good health is to come make lots of money'  and I say 'it's againts the commandments. Besides its' good for me to have my day of rest.' (and friday night, something happened so I didnt even pass by the con sat. I spent the day sleeping. It got resolved that saturday afternoon)

I told him that what I do should not concern him and not try to tell me a twisted version of my faith (he thinks that adventist do 'Ramadan'). Eventually, he left cause some one asked him for help. The people behind him and other artists all agree that he shouldn't have bothered me for that.

This is the second time people ask me why I'm not showing up at a con on saturday and this also keeps me from getting tables at some cons, but this was the first time it made a scene and all I was thinking was to shout out 'LEAVE ME BE!!' to a person.

Last note; I only sell original works so I dont expect to make 'lots of money' just cause it's a saturday. Especially at such a small con....

http://decisiveorigin.com
pinkfairywand
PINKU GEEKU
Global Moderator

BEARS. BEETS. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 06:36:36 PM »

This is the second time people ask me why I'm not showing up at a con on saturday and this also keeps me from getting tables at some cons, but this was the first time it made a scene and all I was thinking was to shout out 'LEAVE ME BE!!' to a person.

That was awful that you had to endure that in front of other people. I don't know the person you were talking about, but really, nobody should be asking you why you can't come on Saturday. It's rude. If you wanted them to know, you'd tell them. I'm more and more convinced that people who run cons were all raised in one big barn by lazy, fat wolves who made them watch Speed Racer.

pinkfairywand hooray
Steven Heinrich
Inspiring Others to Find their Voice
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 08:41:01 PM »

I brought this issue up because a certain couple of people decided to launch another attack at me, even though I have walked away from the convention scene...

I haven't wasted my breath to speak ill of these people, since they seem to making themselves look badly enough with the manner in which they run things and their behavior in general, but obviously, they still feel that they will obtain some type of points with the artistic community and perhaps A-kon by badmouthing me to everyone...

The statement made was so skewed and blatantly a lie, that I find it completely shocking that they actually had the audacity to put it forth, but the main crux was the subject matter, which oriented on someone VERY important who knows that I did NOT say any such thing...

Both I and the important person (especially them!) have people in our corners that have lost patience with the slander and public lies and have started to look into legal responses to this situation..

You play with fire, you will get burned.

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out.  It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being.  We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
-Albert Schweitzer
Starrydance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 09:09:55 PM »

Ill never understand why people gotta make drama for no real good reason. Theres a difference between drama and information.

Information:  This conventions awesome, but be sure to sign up early - it sells out fast and since the AA head is a volunteer and works full time communication can be a bit slow.

Drama:  Omgzor the AA head likes to sacrifice chickens and does voodoo on you if you dont give them all the free stuff they want!

Some you need to be able to do the con, the rest you dont.  Just because the person next to you is doing better or worse business than you doesnt mean you need to make/create/keep alive drama.  Not that theres anything internet or glompy about it, I like little faces too! ^_^

bigbigtruck

strawberry in an ostrich throat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 09:36:03 PM »

Clear, accurate, publicly available information about Artist Alleys makes me every bit as delighted as fresh baked lemon bars do  Cool

I can has backpart? I can has peach?
Im in ur rolled trousers walkin on ur beach
Starrydance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 10:02:13 PM »

I just made lemon bars today! =3

I dont have any infos for you tho ^_^

Verastegui

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 11:26:11 PM »

Ah, the Drama, my good friend.   Thsy is why I decided not to go to anime cons anymore.

WRRRYYYYYYYYYY!!!
Chrislea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 02:17:21 AM »

Awww, now I want lemon bars... and I don't even like lemon!  ;_;
tkawaii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 07:08:42 AM »

Ah, the Drama, my good friend.   Thsy is why I decided not to go to anime cons anymore.

Then what cons do you go too?

as for the con that I was talking about, it was not in texas, its one of the north eastern states, I think NY or NJ

http://decisiveorigin.com
meauho

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 10:58:43 AM »

For those of you who dont know, I am on the Board of Directors for AtsuiCon.

I will admit (right off the bat) that AtsuiCon is small, and cannot hold as many Artists as, say.. AKON.  My statement holds true regardless.

If you believe that you are being unfairly blacklisted by Atsui for any reason, please contact me.  If you are being unfairly treated, I WILL make sure the situation is not repeated.  On the flip side, if there is a legitimate reason (consitantly mistreating attendees/staff/guests/other artists - whether at Atsui or elsewhere) we will let you know what it is.  We may be able to work something out on a probationary basis... or not.

On a personal note:
I can understand part of what you're going through Steven.  Somebody was recently told to be careful around me, because they think I was part of some online conspiracy against the non-artist.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: