convention artists community
October 30, 2007, 12:36:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please do NOT contact Steven about Ikkikon.
https://starcrossd.net/akon/index.php?topic=612.msg6606#msg6606

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: rgb to cmyk?  (Read 174 times)
hp

View Profile WWW
rgb to cmyk?
« on: October 01, 2007, 09:18:58 AM »

For some reason i never thought about it until i printed a portfolio to show this weekend, but how do you convert nicely from rgb to cmyk?  My bf insists i'm doing it wrong...but I looked up some tuts and they say about the same thing.

Basically I converted to RGB, adjusted the colors as close as possible, and then painted out the weird areas that got ruined by adjusting colors. 

Is there some better way to do it?

hpslashlover.deviantart.com (fanart, cartoons)
Spizzy
NEWSFLASH: I'M MEAN
Administrator

UPDATE: STILL MEAN!

View Profile WWW
Re: rgb to cmyk?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 12:10:26 PM »

not really. CMYK just can't make certain colors.

Most these colors are any pure or saturated form of blue. I like my blues and purples :

hp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 01:08:42 PM »

yeah that's what i figured...the problem is i paint most of my stuff like in apparently neon colors...cuz when i run the "gamut warning" thing in photoshop it turns like my whole pic gray >.
someday i will buy my own printer...someday...

pinkfairywand
PINKU GEEKU
Global Moderator

BEARS. BEETS. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 01:13:11 PM »

If you're taking your stuff to a printshop like Kinko's, I recommend leaving it RGB. Everyone makes a big deal about CMYK, but for the sort of art you do, you're already going to sacrifice color twice -- one changing it to CMYK and again getting it printed at Kinko's. You might as well take a chance and leave it how it is. That's how I get my stuff printed after getting so frustrated at CMYK desaturating my stuff.

pinkfairywand hooray
hp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 02:51:58 PM »

actually i'm getting it printed at another shop, but for larger things yeah, i'll prolly do a test print at kinkos in rgb and cmyk to see which i like more.

Spizzy
NEWSFLASH: I'M MEAN
Administrator

UPDATE: STILL MEAN!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 03:11:47 PM »

Quote from: hp on October 01, 2007, 02:51:58 PM
actually i'm getting it printed at another shop, but for larger things yeah, i'll prolly do a test print at kinkos in rgb and cmyk to see which i like more.

well, really, they're going to turn out the exact same ,since they only get printed cmyk, the printer will automaticaly attempt to substitute. If you mean repainting it in cmyk, then that's a different story, but it's still something you can do at home.

hp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 04:17:41 PM »

yeah i meant the repainted cmyk...the corrected cmyk prints actually turned out pretty decent, but i don't know if it was just a good printer or if it was cuz i corrected it.  anyways thanks! ^^

tachiik

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 09:38:50 AM »

^_^ unless you are sending it to a printer everything HAS to be CMYK. RGB is mainly for the computer and people like it because it is very bright on your screen. That's why people wonder why the printed out version is never as bright. Now if you are just going to printe it on a regular printer or a copier place. it really doesn't matter but I suggest RGB because regular printers ESPECIALLY bubble jets are closer to RGB and will try to imitate the brightness.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: