convention artists community
August 22, 2011, 08:55:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Nuts and Bolts of Commissions?  (Read 1638 times)
tehlam
Quiet Artist

View Profile
The Nuts and Bolts of Commissions?
« on: September 16, 2007, 02:19:40 pm »

Hi everyone! I've decide to delurk and ask a question I really want to be answered. I'm just a small, noob artist who wants to test the AA waters a bit, so I think I'll be at the Onicon AA this year, but I'm not too sure. (I never received confirmation of my check, and I don't think anyone else did XD) I'm still incredibly nervous about my decision to sell this year ;___;. The fact that I'm extremely shy doesn't help calm my nerves either...

Anyways, about commissions... I know what they are and the concept sounds simple enough, but when I thought about it, they're really complicated @[email protected] I have an endless amount of questions concerning them....help me please?  Embarrassed

1) Do people like buying sketches/pencil art? Or do they prefer more "finished" looking pieces? (markers, b/w inks, colored pencils)

2) Should I collect the payment before or after I finish the picture?

3) Are there people who stay around and watch you draw their picture, even if it takes 30 minutes?

4) What kind of information should I put on "Taking Commissions" sign?

5) Has anyone ever turned away a request before? And why?

6) Do people actually bring references to their OC's and even their favorite anime character?

7) If someone really wants a commish, and you think you won't be able to finish by the end of the con, what options can you offer?

8 ) On average what do most people request?

9) What prices do you charge for your commissions?

10) What if you worked really hard on a picture, and the person doesn't like and wants his/her money back? What do you do? XD

If anyone could answer any of these questions, I'd be a very happy artist

« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 04:54:59 pm by tehlam » Logged
Chrislea
Talks Too Much

NEWS FLASH: Spizzy meat is safe for consumption!

View Profile WWW
Re: The Nuts and Bolts of Commissions?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 02:58:28 pm »

Hmmm, I think everyone will have different answers, but from my experiences, the replies would be...

1) Both sketches and finished pieces can do well, depending on how much you charge for them and how they look.

2) I usually wait until after the picture is done to take money, in case they hate it and don't want it after all.

3) There are people who'll stand at the table and watch you draw anything and everything for an hour or two, and some who'll say, "Ten minutes?  This could take that long?  Excuse me, I have to go stand in line for three hours."

4) Hmm, I'm not sure what you should put onto your sign.  I've always just put a notice of commissions and the price.

5) I've never turned down a request, but I've never had any really disturbing ones so far.

6) Some really do bring ref pics!  It could be a binder full, or it could be just a scrap of paper.  If you suspect you'll get a lot of requests for a famous character/personality you're unfamiliar with, print out a picture to keep on hand in case you'll need it.

7) I give them my e-mail and offer to mail the piece to them when it's done.

8 ) NARUTO.  Oh dear lord, do they request Naruto.  And Roxas.  And Axel.

9) People keep telling me to raise my prices.  ^^;  Charge what you want to - if people won't pay, you can always lower the price.

10) I ask if they would like me to try again, unless they look really, really pissed, and then I just don't take money from them and hope they'll forget I exist quickly.  ^_^;

Hope that helps somehow.  ^^
Spizzy
Fancy Toothpick
Administrator
(Evil) Board Overlord

NEWS FLASH: contaminents found in Spizzy meat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 04:21:30 pm »

1) Do people like buying sketches/pencil art? Or do they prefer more "finished" looking pieces? (markers, b/w inks, colored pencils)

I see sketches or inked pieces usually go more than finished work. Or sketchy color--they work good. I hardly see people ask for full blown illustrations

BEFORE--at least get half of it if it's a more expensive commission, so if they never show back up or try to pull a "I suddenly don't like it, or I ran out of money, gimme back monies" on you your time wasn't completely wasted, and if they never show back up, you can just sell the picture to someone that will buy it XD

3) Are there people who stay around and watch you draw their picture, even if it takes 30 minutes?

Yes, they will. Almost every person that's commissioned me watches me do it, though mine don't take that long.

Put basic prices if you use a sign at all--most people will ask you if you take commissions if they really want one.

Plenty of people do, for whatever reason they have. I personally turned down a few people when they asked me to draw something I knew would come out looking terrible becauseI wasn't good at drawing it, and I would never accept adult content pictures (whether I will draw my own is a different matter) . Out of personal interest, I also wouldn't draw anthro.

6) Do people actually bring references to their OC's and even their favorite anime character?

You better believe they will, lol

7) If someone really wants a commish, and you think you won't be able to finish by the end of the con, what options can you offer?

email a scan and/or sending of original through mail. get all info (including telephone number) and make SURE they've already paid at least half before you do this and agree on it.

their favorite character from shows, alot of the time. Whatever's popular at the moment or is always really big (FF, Zelda, etc), expect it.

I charge $8 for mine, they're done on 4.5x6 bristol board with pen and markers. I do NOT go into detail on these--it's a 3 minute pencil sketch, some quick ink, and some quick color, usually done in 5-10 minutes.

10) What if you worked really hard on a picture, and the person doesn't like and wants his/her money back? What do you do? XD

This is exactly why you take money up front, at least half. If they don't like it, they don't have to pay the other half, but if they expect you to give the rest back after you spent the time working on it for them to reject it, tough for them. Be sure that if it's gonna be a heavy commission that you actually tell whatever policy you construct on payment, lol.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 04:26:41 pm by Spizzy » Logged

bigbigtruck
Chatty Arist

strawberry in an ostrich throat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 08:04:31 pm »

I get a lot of folks buying sketches since they're cheaper than color, but most tend to prefer something more finished. It just depends from buyer to buyer.

At cons? I usually only take payment afterwards. Saves me the trouble of having to hunt down someone once I'm done + saves postage + saves me the guilt of taking money if they can't make it back.
Working at home = different matter ENTIRELY.

Yup. Usually they wander off to do stuff, but there are about 5 or 6 people a day who just watch their commission come together.

Prices, sizes, type (b/w, color, on board? etc.)  I also have a disclaimer about adult artwork. (must be 18 & show ID, no pedo/furry/rape)

I've turned down one or two that involved detailed mecha, and I've had to pass on some fanart requests where the commission-er doesn't have any reference images.

OH GOD YES. OCs and RPG characters are 1/3 to 1/2 of the stuff I draw at cons.

I usually get their mailing address, take payment, and send it in a padded mailer within a week after the con. I only do this if I know I can finish and send it within a few days after the event.

Portraits of themselves

It varies depending on size, detail, number of heads, color/bw, etc. At cons, it's anywhere from $10 to $60.

I haven't had this happen yet (and I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop). If I've screwed up, I'll redo it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 08:06:49 pm by bigbigtruck » Logged

I can has backpart? I can has peach?
Im in ur rolled trousers walkin on ur beach
tehlam
Quiet Artist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 04:58:47 pm »

Wow, so many helpful replies
 Grin
Verastegui
Chatty Arist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 10:14:47 pm »

Sometimes it varies.  There are some that appear once in a blue moon that will pay top dollar for quality art, but most will only pay the cheapest possible.

I tend to take 50% of the agreed price.  If they don't have change or whatever, you can ask them to leave something that they might want back. Cheesy  At A-kon when I took a commission to draw a Naruto character and I ended up keeping the girl's digital camera (because it had a pic of the character).

Yep, and I can't get used to that.  It helps if you can keep a conversation while drawing.

Prices, some examples, and a policy on adult work.

At A-kon I talked to a fantasy artist that was in the same line of tables as me and he has mentioned turning down adult comissions (except for tasteful nudes, I presume) because that sort of stuff could haunt one's career for a long time.

Yeah, but it has only happened to me a few times.  I once did a comission for a D&D character, and the guy only told me the class, race and what not.

Look up at the other responses.

Fanart

I start at $10.  Will go higher depending on how much detail, items, and size of work.

Will re-do it.

WRRRYYYYYYYYYY!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: