convention artists community
December 11, 2007, 11:17:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2.  Submit your work using Copic Markers to their online gallery

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to run an art auction  (Read 500 times)
Spizzy
NEWSFLASH: I'M MEAN
Administrator

UPDATE: STILL MEAN!

View Profile WWW
How to run an art auction
« on: August 16, 2007, 11:58:19 AM »

Hey guys, since I'm director for Realmscon's AA, they asked that I also conduct the art auction. Problem is, I don't know how to go about doing that. I mean, I figure it can't be that hard; you hold it up, give a description of the artwork and the technical stuff (medium, size, ect) and who it's by, and then start the bidding. I'm not too worried about it because I heard only a whopping 8 people showed up to last year's auction, but I'd still like some advice from people that actually have some experience with it.

Hastur
Head Cultist - Cult of Cthulhu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
Re: How to run an art auction
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 03:32:34 PM »

I have experience with art auctions and with running a couple small auctions, too. And it sounds like you are already set.

Get a description of each item - get details.
When they are bidding, it's kind of cool to add details as the bidding stops.  That way it encourages more bidding. 
Have another person there to take the money.  You can be running the bidding while they are getting the cash. It helps for larger auctions anyway.

You also may want to contact the art director for FenCon (www.fencon.org) to see if s/he has any tips.  They run a really cool auction

"You need only two tools. WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: