convention artists community
May 03, 2007, 01:51:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Webcomic programming is being coordinated with A-kon programming,
the schedule will come out next week.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: To Mat or not to Mat?  (Read 139 times)
Starrydance

View Profile WWW
To Mat or not to Mat?
« on: April 07, 2007, 06:36:49 PM »

We were at the Scarborough Faire today (in the SNOW!) and I noticed every artist selling art there was selling basically matted-only.

Do you guys mat up? Mat some up? Offer it as an option? 

Thanks!

Spizzy
spells rhaspberries with an 'h'
Global Moderator

Snail Saviour

View Profile WWW
Re: To Mat or not to Mat?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 06:38:25 PM »

I plan to mat a couple for display purposes, but it'd be too much to mat every single PRINT. If they were fancy limited prints, do it. If it's a original, do it. If you sell 5 dollars prints and sell alot of them, matt a few for display and sell them for extra

Starrydance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 06:39:23 PM »

Spizzy, you post fast like Ninja.

Awesome, thats exactly what I was thinking.

Spizzy
spells rhaspberries with an 'h'
Global Moderator

Snail Saviour

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 06:39:54 PM »

well I was here and had an answer >_>

fev!
i like chocolate milk
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 07:56:25 PM »

I mat only to display at artshows, everything else i at most, and weight limit dependent, will drop the large prints in a bag with a tagboard backing put in for support.. Mats wind up making prints much more cost and time consuming to deal with, and they take up an insane amount of additional space and weight when transporting them around..

I see a few artists here and there at anime cons do it for individually sold prints, but it doesn't make me wanna buy the things more if they're matted... At my table, if i bother to have something matted its because its some unsold thing from a previous art show.. I'm more concerned with having something displayed vertically than having a mat on it, and as spizzy mentioned, i'd most certainly sell it for more

If i was at a craft fair I'd be more likely to do it though, (I'd put tagboard backings on everything (at the LEAST), so people could rummage thru them without damaging the things.

www.fevereon.deviantart.com/
tkawaii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 08:58:38 PM »

well I put all my prints in an envelop with backing for my A4 prints

I only matt my A3 cause its cheaper to do them then to buy large envelops. I dont do large print runs for theses so its cool.

http://decisiveorigin.com
Starrydance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 09:00:51 PM »

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention. I purchased backing boards and clearbags to put them all in. It was just wow, everything at the faire is matted.  Rut roh Shaggy!

Hastur
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 09:17:16 AM »

The customer group dynamic at Scarborough is different than at A-Kon. 

At A-Kon, there are a lot of people who want to get as much for their money as possible - who are young and don't care about the extras. 

At Scarborough, there are older people who want to be able to take the piece home with them and just hang it, who own their homes and are looking for a more 'adult' presentation to the work. 

Someday, when I have armies of slave labor and an have a booth at Scarborough, my display will be very, very different, because the general characteristics of the people attending are different.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 04:00:14 PM by Hastur » Logged

"You need only two tools. WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape."
etherealist

is going to have to put you on the Game Grid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 02:29:15 PM »

Quote from: Starrydance on April 07, 2007, 09:00:51 PM
Rut roh Shaggy!

SCOOBY!!!!!!!!!!!
etherealist

is going to have to put you on the Game Grid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 02:31:06 PM »

Quote from: fev! on April 07, 2007, 07:56:25 PM
I mat only to display at artshows, everything else i at most, and weight limit dependent, will drop the large prints in a bag with a tagboard backing put in for support.. Mats wind up making prints much more cost and time consuming to deal with, and they take up an insane amount of additional space and weight when transporting them around..

I see a few artists here and there at anime cons do it for individually sold prints, but it doesn't make me wanna buy the things more if they're matted... At my table, if i bother to have something matted its because its some unsold thing from a previous art show.. I'm more concerned with having something displayed vertically than having a mat on it, and as spizzy mentioned, i'd most certainly sell it for more

If i was at a craft fair I'd be more likely to do it though, (I'd put tagboard backings on everything (at the LEAST), so people could rummage thru them without damaging the things.

Seconded.  Yeah, mats just... suck.  Primarily because of the size increase.

Question: What is a tagboard backing?
fev!
i like chocolate milk
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 03:39:11 PM »

tagboard prolly not the technical term for it.. its just that cheap material that a lot of drawing pads are backed with.. the stuff i bought came in 32x40 sheets, and i got it pearl art supply (dunno if theres one in your area)..

www.fevereon.deviantart.com/
Chrislea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 09:48:19 PM »

I can't afford to mat my paintings - that's like, an extra 15-20$ per painting, and people might not even like teh colors I pick out.  Some of the images take up all the paper and really belong in no-matt frames.  There's no way in hell I'd FRAME those paintings.  Lord knows how much that would end up costing.  =_=  I'm putting them all in plastic bags, but I don't know where to find cardboard...

Where can one find cardboard in mass amounts, anyway?  Is it necessary?
tkawaii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 12:03:42 AM »

you can try large stores and ask for scrapes to see if they have any cardbord large enough.

I on the other hand, live in a area that does a lot of art and lots of art students so I go to my art store to get scrap matt boards that only cost 1$ a pack of about 20-50. They come larger then A3 size so they are perfect for me. its just a pain to cut them down though

http://decisiveorigin.com
Starrydance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 07:26:09 AM »

I bought backing boards at clear bags.com.  Not so expensive at small sizes, but it starts to get more and more expensive. ^^

Chrislea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 03:24:42 PM »

Quote from: Starrydance on April 09, 2007, 07:26:09 AM
I bought backing boards at clear bags.com.  Not so expensive at small sizes, but it starts to get more and more expensive. ^^

....I'm SO stupid.  I should've checked to see if they had them there.  I was in such a hurry to order bags, I didn't even think about looking.  And my order of plastic-only is probably going to arrive today or tomorrow.  T-T
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: