convention artists community
May 02, 2007, 11:59:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Do NOT send anything to my PO BOX anymore, I have shut it down.  Send everything to Phoenix Entertainment.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 72 times)
mikedoyle

View Profile
Hello
« on: March 27, 2007, 06:51:20 AM »

Hello, I just found this site via BoardgameGeek. Seems a very interesting site. As a matter of introduction, I'm an artist/designer out of NYC. I work as a design director in the city but on my off hours I work on art/graphics for board games. I won't clog this up with my work, but if your interested you can always visit my blog on boardgame aesthetics www.mdoyle.blogspot.com or gallery at www.mdoyle2.blogspot.com.

best
mike
Spizzy
spells rhaspberries with an 'h'
Global Moderator

Snail Saviour

View Profile WWW
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 08:16:54 AM »

welcome, and go ahead and clog with artwork, we want you to :3 There's another thread in the gallery and chat section specifically to break down those using dialup, lol

Steven Heinrich
Inspiring Others to Find their Voice
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 10:30:55 AM »

Hey Mike,

Steven here...thank you for coming over...

Any input is welcome!!!  I created the forums to be a safe place for artists (of all mediums) to come and ask questions and learn about how to be convention artists...I'm sure with you being a professional in the industry in NY you'll have many questions from the newer artist tossed yout way! Wink

Just don't donate to any discussions on salsa dip and I think we'll be okay...remember the forum is based in Texas!! Grin
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 10:32:43 AM by Steven Heinrich » Logged

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out.  It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being.  We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
-Albert Schweitzer
Kieshar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 06:41:05 AM »

Hello Mike,

Just curious, how exactly did boardgame designs find you? I find that very obscure and very interesting. Nice very nice work btw.
mikedoyle

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 07:00:07 AM »

Thank you! If you are asking how did I find work in boardgame art or how they found me, it was a slow process of posting ideas and reimagined (personal projects) boardgame art on my blog and on the premier boardgame site (Boardgamegeek). Eventually, a few publishers found me and sought me out. From there it sort of builds as more publishers see the art and gamers request to see it in future games.

I think more important than simply showing off a portfolio is speaking toward ideas and process. If one can describe the process in a thoughtful way that can help the non visual individuals begin to see that it is more than simply making something look pretty, they can see value in the work. For publishers and business oriented individuals, art, art purchasing and the process of creation and critiquing is a very confusing and difficult – often a scary or uncomfortable thing. Building confidence with those individuals through the blog format in a professional manner is a valuable tool in controlling ones art during the process by preestablishing a sort of authority.
Kieshar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 07:12:43 AM »

That makes sense. All of it. You working towards it and they finding you. Listening to you (metaphorically speaking) makes me think that you have been in the business for a very long time. Your level of confidence is inspiring and more importantly you sound as if you enjoy your work very much. It definitely shows. Hats off to you.

I also find your mission to help others understand that there is more to visual aesthetics then just a pretty picture could also have a purpose, persuasion, direction is refreshing. I wish you well. Will you be coming to AKon in Dallas?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: