convention artists community
May 12, 2011, 06:37:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you still going to attend A-kon?  (Read 182 times)
Silvernomiko
Quiet Artist

View Profile WWW
Are you still going to attend A-kon?
« on: May 09, 2011, 05:51:33 pm »

I missed the boat to prereg for A-kon since the last time I pre-regged was like half a decade ago . . . I've been tabling for so long, and attending A-kon for nearly a decade and a half.

Honestly, HONESTLY. For people who didn't make it, are ya'll still going to hit up the con as a regular con-goer? If so, the entire weekend or one-day attendee?

I'm on the fence about it but it's less of an issue for me, since it's local for me to attend (or not attend). But AA regulars who are out of state or have to drive a much longer distance than me . . . are ya'll still going to attend? Will we still get to see your faces and chat and all?

I'm hopeful--HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL--about the waitlist, but I'm realistic. And I've been on the fence about going to the con ever since sign ups. It's really . . . different to go from a regular AA person and then go as a con attendee. I just want to hear other people's opinions and get a head count-ish (it's a friggin' huge con, I know) of those who didn't make it but are still going to attend. :B Or, maybe more realistic . . . are people going to attend just Saturday or something? And if so, what will you be dressed up as so we can be on the look out to say hi.

Part of what I love and enjoy about cons is the camaraderie of AA people, how I've met new friends and reoccurring faces. Cons are like reunions for people we only see a few brief moments during an already brief convention. It'd be nice to hear the word on who I might have a chance of catching up with this A-kon.

I'm thinking (as I still vacillate on the decision regularly) I might just do the Saturday attendance, but I'd love to hear from other familiar faces on what their plans are.
Quatrina
Quiet Artist

View Profile WWW
Re: Are you still going to attend A-kon?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 05:23:05 pm »

I didn't even consider preregistering, because without a table, there isn't any point for me to bother going at all. I have no idea what to do with myself at a convention if I'm not sitting behind a table. I'm not outgoing enough to go talk to others to socialize without falling into an awkward mess, I work a lot better if they can come to me instead. While I was sort of considering dropping by for a day, I don't know if I'll actually do it, and if I do, I certainly won't be buying a badge. Being unemployed and all, I don't have the disposable income to take a loss on any conventions right now. Honestly, between transportation and/or parking the hassle of going to downtown Dallas might be enough to put me off it completely.

So yes, there is one person who unless some highly unlikely miracle occurs won't be going to this convention at all for the first time in five or so years because a couple hyphens tripped her up on the WPM race. :|
Tama-chan
Quite Yakkity

aka John Yume

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 05:41:32 pm »

I have friends to share a table with now, but right before that I was seriously considering (though very back and forth) going "just for fun". I'm kinda with Quatrina, I never been to a con without working at AA or staff so I wouldn't know what to do with myself. But since this is A-kon and I wasn't sure if I'd make it to A-fest, I thought I could "splurge" for just this one con to see Dallas friends and the AA gang.

Since Dallas is out of town for me, I would have just done the three days. I don't see the point of using up that much gas and not make the most of it. But for those local to Dallas it might be better just to do one day.

-AA Artist- www.johnyume.deviantart.com

Good Artists are Crappy Artists that never gave up

"You're like the giant glowing Fujimoto icon of... the whole convention, pretty much." ~ AshHavynn
Ladre
Talks Too Much

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 07:15:13 pm »

I'll preface this by saying: *bitter voice on* "Easy for you to say, Ladre. You actually HAVE a table. You shouldn't even be in this thread; since it's for people who don't have a table >:[" *bitter voice off*

I've already had this discussion with Silver, but I'd definitely still go for a day. I never have table-mates at large cons who can watch my table for me so I'd love the opportunity to actually get out and enjoy the con. Every year at A-Kon I miss out on the panels, Dealer's Room, and visiting other artists. I understand you guys who don't think it's worth it going without a table, but for me it's not just about money. I love being an artist and I'd hate to have not gotten a table, but I could easily toss my lot in with the many thousands of fans who think the con is worth attending even without the added benefit of making moneys. I know people think I'm still a newbie at this and therefore cannot possibly understand the view of people who have been going to A-Kon for X number of years in a row and always tabling, but I do have 25 cons in a row under my belt, all of which I was an artist at, and after all those cons I would adore the opportunity to actually get out from behind the table and enjoy the con, especially since it's the huge local con that I don't have to spend a shatton of money to attend and then make sure my butt is behind that table 22 hours a day to make back all that money. If it were a less local or less awesome con, I'd be less inclined to attend. (Those poor Houstonians!)

I also know that not everyone is really an anime fan, or a fan of the stuff at anime cons. They just go for the opportunity to sell, and there's nothing wrong with that. If there's an audience for your work at an anime con, I say go for it, even if you're not really an anime con-type person, in which case your not wanting to attend without a table would be understandable.

But I am a fan of anime-con stuff, and when I think about how much fun my first A-Kon was, and how sad I was when it was over and how much I was looking forward to the next one (It only came once a year!), I can't imagine not going just cause I didn't have a table.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:25:24 pm by Ladre » Logged

My website! http://www.andalten.com
Silvernomiko
Quiet Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 08:11:39 pm »

Quote from: Ladre on May 10, 2011, 07:15:13 pm
I'd love the opportunity to actually get out and enjoy the con. Every year at A-Kon I miss out on the panels, Dealer's Room, and visiting other artists. ...the view of people who have been going to A-Kon for X number of years in a row and always tabling, but I do have 25 cons in a row under my belt, all of which I was an artist at, and after all those cons I would adore the opportunity to actually get out from behind the table and enjoy the con
*shrug* We all have different opinions. I'm not saying cons aren't there to be enjoyed. That's the point of them. I think of them as traveling carnivals that breeze in for a brief, concentrated time of fun. I'm not saying my opinion is better or less than others. I went back to check my badges (I have a ring of badges from all the cons I've attended). I'd say I've been hitting up A-kon for about closer to 12-13 years or so. Which means I've been going to the con as a regular con-goer for like 7 or 8 years and tabling for a mere 5 years.

Cons are fun. Fun fun fun. But I'm not a panel person. I don't like the video rooms much because, yeah, I prefer sub--also video rooms aren't what they used to be eons and eons ago. I'm not as into j-pop (so no go for j-pop room) and gaming isn't as appealing when I got my weekly GURPS/DnD group. Sure, I could do Magic, but again, I could hit up the weekly tournys at my local Madness/Lone Star comic stores. And the video game room is cool . . . but I don't have the skillz to really enjoy showing off or playing with others in a "relaxed competitive" sort of way--I in fact suck at many, many games. I don't need to bring that suckatude to the gaming room, lol. I barely even take pics of cosplayers to be honest, I take pics of the raver style, gothloli, and steampunk look. Occasionally I'll take pics of cosplayers, but nowadays they're sort of incidental if they're by someone in an outfit I like.

For me, personally, there are a few events that would interest me. And, really, REALLY? It's the AA people that I enjoy at the con. I enjoy talking to and getting to know the AA people. Catching up with friends I see oh, so, briefly. But a lot of those people don't have tables this year, which will make it even more difficult to find them and catch up with them--especially if they're not attending the con, lol!

But I am a fan of anime-con stuff, and when I think about how much fun my first A-Kon was, and how sad I was when it was over and how much I was looking forward to the next one (It only came once a year!), I can't imagine not going just cause I didn't have a table.
Sure, the first con was amazing and mind-boggling. It was information, sensory, and possibly scent overload. But the glitz and glam of your first con is hard pressed to compare to cons later on down the road. Not saying they're less impressive--no, they're different. You're a different person experiencing a different con. You focus in on enjoying different things than you did with your first con.

Don't get me wrong. I love anime conventions, I love our anime subculture. I love how we enjoy and EMBRACE our fandom, how compared to other cons, we're just so wacky and so energized and just so very immersed in that which is anime/Japanese. I've been loyal to A-kon since I was but a mere preteen fangirl (I'm proud to say I didn't scream/shriek...too loudly during that pupae stage). >_> It's just rough not having a table. I think I'd probably feel like I missed out, but I've worked through days I didn't get off during the con and didn't really resent it. *shrug* We'll see how it goes, man.
Tama-chan
Quite Yakkity

aka John Yume

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 08:42:34 pm »

Quote from: Ladre on May 10, 2011, 07:15:13 pm
I never have table-mates at large cons who can watch my table for me so I'd love the opportunity to actually get out and enjoy the con. Every year at A-Kon I miss out on the panels, Dealer's Room, and visiting other artists.

I usually have a table helpers so I normally get to enjoy the AA and Dealer's Room. Maybe not as thoroughly as I possibly could... >u> But for me if I missed A-kon I could just wait till the next con to look at art/merch. But honestly the best part of the con for me is the people, and that's really the reason I was thinking of going even if I couldn't make up for my expenses.

I understand you guys who don't think it's worth it going without a table, but for me it's not just about money.

For some of us, we never really been to panels and events... so we don't know what we are missing XD It's not necessarily about money... but if you don't know if you enjoy other con events... it might be a long weekend >u>

If it were a less local or less awesome con, I'd be less inclined to attend. (Those poor Houstonians!)
haha yeah... for those of us not local.... this is/would have been an expensive fun trip =u=;;; Which is why I seriously hesitated. Gas, hotel, parking, food, ticket OTL It was looking very expensive... espcially since my next con won't be for awhile ;u;

-AA Artist- www.johnyume.deviantart.com

Good Artists are Crappy Artists that never gave up

"You're like the giant glowing Fujimoto icon of... the whole convention, pretty much." ~ AshHavynn
Alicechan
Quiet Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:02:47 pm »

I'm still going, but thats cause I felt I had to buy a badge for the art show. They are finally having the auction at a time I can attend and not get mugged when I leave and I have been wanting to go to one of those since I first entered it back in..'07? I think. I need to fulfill my dreammmmm. 8o Plus, I wanted to see all the new artist. I hear it's unicorn year and I WANT SOME UNICORN STUFF. XB

Buttt, if it wasn't for the auction (and unicorns) I would be in the same boat and not go. It just doesn't feel the same without being a part of the alley and conversing with the other artist.
Kiiyame
Chatty Arist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:29:48 pm »

If I didn't have a table I'd still go for sure. I love cons, I go to random cons all the time to just go and experience it. I went to A-kon (and others) for 2/3 years before having a table and sometimes I wish I didn't have the table so I could go and do the con things. xD; Although I do go for shopping and seeing the cosplays among other things so I suppose it's a different situation than others. Also it's not cheap to just randomly go to a con but I use my money from my part time job to fund cons so that part isn't an issue for me as it would be for others.

...Ah I'm being distracted from con prep like usual. *runs off*

http://whiteoblivion.deviantart.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WhiteOblivion
Ladre
Talks Too Much

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 09:47:29 pm »

Quote from: Alicechan on May 10, 2011, 09:02:47 pm
I'm still going, but thats cause I felt I had to buy a badge for the art show. They are finally having the auction at a time I can attend and not get mugged when I leave and I have been wanting to go to one of those since I first entered it back in..'07? I think. I need to fulfill my dreammmmm. 8o Plus, I wanted to see all the new artist. I hear it's unicorn year and I WANT SOME UNICORN STUFF. XB

Buttt, if it wasn't for the auction (and unicorns) I would be in the same boat and not go. It just doesn't feel the same without being a part of the alley and conversing with the other artist.
I don't know what you're going to enter but I bet you'll clean up at the Art Show =D

My website! http://www.andalten.com
electriksunshine
Quite Yakkity

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 12:18:56 am »

Quote from: Silvernomiko on May 10, 2011, 08:11:39 pm

Cons are fun. Fun fun fun. But I'm not a panel person. I don't like the video rooms much because, yeah, I prefer sub--also video rooms aren't what they used to be eons and eons ago.

this. my first was afest in '01, and it was SO. DIFFERENT. than the cons now. I attended oni (however briefly) and was bored out of my skull, stood around making conversation with ravenmoon, and ladre, and tama-chan, and then went to go have girly gossip time behind metalego's booth.

i -like- panels, esp when they pertain to my interests, things like sewing, crafting, fandom history, etc. But most panels i see scheduled are things i'm SO not interested in. BJD? you need a whole HOUR in panel 1 to talk about dolls? stage fighting for cosplay skits? i'm not sure i want to arm these children, soft weapons or otherwise. cel painting? cels even still exist? beginner japanese? great! teach those 11-14 yearold otaku some basic phrases so they can start talking in pidgeon english to everyone in sight, though they'll never take the time to learn the language...

okay, maybe i'm being overly negative. but there's long blocks of crappy programming, where i'm bored as all get out when i go to a con. i don't go to make friends, the average congoer nowadays is a broke 16 yearold in a poorly done L cosplay. you think i want to be friends with those people?

i guess oni in particular was a poor choice. i've been to a-kon since 15, and know LOTS of people who still go. I am particularly close with a few longtime congoers, and would def. go again, if only to see them. Smiley

/rant

www.hypergleam.etsy.com
Buzzard
Mr. Period
Sociable Artist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 07:54:40 am »

Quote from: Quatrina on May 10, 2011, 05:23:05 pm
So yes, there is one person who unless some highly unlikely miracle occurs won't be going to this convention at all for the first time in five or so years because a couple hyphens tripped her up on the WPM race. :|

*sad fist bump*

This will be the first Kon I've missed since Project: A-Kon 5, also because I got screwed on punctuation and there was just no fair way to fix the problem after that. Bottom line: Out-of-town-congoing is too expensive for me to even attempt if I'm not selling. P:A-K5 was my first convention-- so, y'know, A-Kon is actually special to me-- and I would have been bankrupt if I hadn't taken art along on the off chance I might be able to sell it, and accidentally sold everything I took for really good prices.

Just gas to Dallas is nearly a hundred bucks at current rates (not that that stopped Big Oil from getting billions of dollars in tax refunds this year) and even if there were any hotel rooms still available they'd be over a hundred apiece even with three other people in the room. Pre-reg prices are pushing $50 this late in the game, food is still a requirement, taking time off from work is the same as costing money, and anything bought at the convention isn't paying for itself anymore. I could conceivably recoup some costs at the Art Show, but I haven't made serious money at the Art Show since it got relegated to the third floor ghetto and the Kon stopped promoting it as a destination in and of itself. If I win the lottery in the next three weeks, I'll be sure to show up with barrels of cash and fling it madly about, but otherwise it's the end of a sixteen year era.

tl;dr: Can't afford it, never gonna stop being bitter about it.
Proz
Sociable Artist

San Japan - Chairman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 09:27:04 am »

Quote from: electriksunshine on May 11, 2011, 12:18:56 am
i -like- panels, esp when they pertain to my interests, things like sewing, crafting, fandom history, etc. But most panels i see scheduled are things i'm SO not interested in. BJD? you need a whole HOUR in panel 1 to talk about dolls? stage fighting for cosplay skits? i'm not sure i want to arm these children, soft weapons or otherwise. cel painting? cels even still exist? beginner japanese? great! teach those 11-14 yearold otaku some basic phrases so they can start talking in pidgeon english to everyone in sight, though they'll never take the time to learn the language...

okay, maybe i'm being overly negative. but there's long blocks of crappy programming, where i'm bored as all get out when i go to a con. i don't go to make friends, the average congoer nowadays is a broke 16 yearold in a poorly done L cosplay. you think i want to be friends with those people?

Like artists who expressed that they're bored when not involved somehow in AA, I am bored myself if I'm not promoting or helping to volunteer/staff a con. A lot of people who staff con have told me the same as there's a reason many of us help out multiple cons. After doing it for a while, my passion has become con org. For a vast majority, this is an extremely boring subject to talk about because people generally don't care how a con is created and organized, they only care for the fact that its there and if its run well by a rag-tag team of volunteers. I have tried to run panels in explaining how its done but only a few people actually show up which might seem disheartening but I've come to expect it. Most would rather watch paint dry then hearing how a convention is created or explaining about hotel contracts.

Most panels you see at a con, which don't pertain to a guests or staple events, are run by fans. It can't be stressed that if you want to see a certain subject being discussed, you can't wait on others to propose to run a panel that pertain to your passions. Like a broken record but it is the hard truth, if you don't like something then do something about it. It is extremely easy to find the information on submitting to run a panel on any subject that you want as long as its relevant.

If a person worries that a panel submission will be rejected, I can you that the ones that are typically green-lighted are the proposals that show a passion for the subject that they want to lead a discussion. If they've done the panel at other cons then they'll usually get a green-light too which is why you'll see a lot of the same programming at other cons in the state. A vast majority of submissions received (at least received for SJ) are two or three sentences write-ups. There's also a reason why you'll hear a multiple call for panel submissions because cons have holes to fill in for programming and not enough people are stepping up to fill them.

If the thought of public speaking gives you nightmares, I would actually suggest getting your feet wet at A-Fest. Since they're 4 days with many panel rooms, they will usually accept most panel submissions. It is a good way to practice as you just have to imagine that you're talking to friends on your passion of a certain subject. A-Fest will even give you a comp panelist badge for 1 panel which is valid for all 4 days.

A con is only is as good as you make it want it to be.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:36:28 am by Proz » Logged

electriksunshine
Quite Yakkity

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 09:04:59 pm »

Quote from: Proz on May 11, 2011, 09:27:04 am

i would LOVE to run a panel. specialty fabrics? yes, i can go on for an hour on specialty fabrics. the (now nonexistent) AA panel everyone on here wanted to do made me SO excited, if only to go and listen (yes, i know most of it already but i love everyone else's opinion/experience). every time i've submitted a panel, it was shot down, because there are already 398493049 [better] sewing panels out there. as for animefest, well, i won't make it this year, i'll be in houston vending at another show. but methinks theres no shortage of textile panels there either.

i'm not trying to argue with you. cons are understaffed as it is, and finding decent panelists i'm sure is the least of everyone's worries.

tl;dr - if you have room for another sewing panel, i'm down to host one.

www.hypergleam.etsy.com
AshHavynn
Chatty Arist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Today at 07:14:06 am »

Quote from: electriksunshine on May 11, 2011, 09:04:59 pm
Quote from: Proz on May 11, 2011, 09:27:04 am

i would LOVE to run a panel. specialty fabrics? yes, i can go on for an hour on specialty fabrics.

tl;dr - if you have room for another sewing panel, i'm down to host one.

Electrik, if you hosted a panel just on specialty fabrics, I would SO go. I'm pretty new at sewing, but the thing that ticks me off the most is finding fabric worth the drive to the store to get it, and I don't even know where online. Or what kind to look for, for that matter.
ESPECIALLY fuzzy/fluffy fabrics. In bright funky colors. Just. Do not know.

Fairytales are not Fashion Statements
Proz
Sociable Artist

San Japan - Chairman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: Today at 01:55:21 pm »

PM me the details & panel name, time you would like, how long (presume 1 hour) and a short-write up then I'll put it on the SJ schedule. If you're down with Friday or Sunday, I can easily pencil it in.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:59:43 pm by Proz » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: