convention artists community
May 12, 2011, 03:59:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with Negative Comments  (Read 234 times)
meauho
I am the Great and Powerful OZ
Administrator
(Evil) Board Overlord

Grrr Argh

View Profile WWW
Re: Dealing with Negative Comments
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 08:51:13 am »

Quote from: Sirenz on May 09, 2011, 10:39:34 am
Yes I hate when people take pictures with a passion. SadThis one girl came up and pointed out to her friend at the link to my dA that is on all the pictures, "We could print that out online instead of pay $5!". Then she took a photo of one of the artworks with the website on it. I was really annoyed!

What I can't stand are the hagglers that come by. They will see a $3 bookmark and be like "I'll give you a dollar for this! $3 is too high!". I have printed signs that clearly display the prices..my god people! 

We have people who try to get us to sell $30 DVDs for $15 or $10 - and don't seem to get that our average profit (after taxes) is just under $5

I'm going AFK for a few weeks

Joshua A
Those Anime People
Check us on Facebook or eBay
Tama-chan
Quite Yakkity

aka John Yume

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 05:30:18 pm »

I've received all kinds of negative comments for art, crafted items, or prices. I usually just laugh it off after they leave because they are usually very ignorant, have weird opinions, are so rude they are beyond my comprehension, or they are just spouting out empty, idle chatter to their friends.

I think electriksunshine has some brilliant advice there Smiley

I get a lot of people who try to haggle for stuff or make up excuses like "I'm poor" or "It's my birthday" to give them a discount/free stuff. Sometimes I do give people deals, but my stuff is really cheap as it is. I'm kinda resolved not to give anymore deals unless they are buying a ton or stuff or they are a very wonderful customer. Most of the people that want deals aren't nice kids that ran out of money, but are looking to stretch their 20 dollar bills.

Quote from: Chrislea on May 09, 2011, 03:18:31 pm
When people say that too much, that they'll print it off the internet, I find the pic online and replace it with one that has a watermark over the characters' faces.  Print that, morons.  >=D

Haha yessss. I should go through and watermark everything worse than I already have >u>

I don't mind people taking a picture of my booth, especially if they ask permission. I just wish people didn't take their 10MB cameras and zoom in on my original art to take pictures :| you might as well spit on my face if you're gonna do that...

-AA Artist- www.johnyume.deviantart.com

Good Artists are Crappy Artists that never gave up

"You're like the giant glowing Fujimoto icon of... the whole convention, pretty much." ~ AshHavynn
Silvernomiko
Quiet Artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 08:08:15 pm »

I think the worst I've got is the ol' run of the mill "I could do better" although at Matsuri Tama-chan and I heard some person loudly point to her friend and say stuff like "I'd draw MUCH better, the anatomy's wrong there, that one, there..." pointing to each print. Mostly mine--yeah, I know, kid...I'm RIGHT THERE. The fact that they don't even realize they're being utterly rude is just . . . sad. They're here on their parents' dime, but they don't really think about it. I've received some negative comments on my prints and occasionally on my cat collars. Those are mostly, "I could do THAT" sort of thing. But like previous people mentioned, yeah you could but WOULD you. I mean, I tailored them to fit a cheaper price point and I think they look nice enough for what they represent.

Occasionally on Sundays the real bargain hunters sniff around at various tables seeking out mark down prices. Then will abruptly leave when I tell them I don't mark down my prices on Sunday. My stuff packs up compactly so I don't really stress about taking back product to my apartment. It's only amusing that they almost seem offended that I don't offer them cheaper prices on stuff I made.

I think a gray area comment is when you do a commission and their faces . . . aren't happy. Not deliriously happy or straight up angry. Just a sort of, "Uuuuh/meh" kind of thing. Where you're not sure if they're happy, ambivalent, or just don't know what they put their money down for. But while those aren't the big pay-offs like the "OMG, I LOVE IT, have some extra tip" responses, I don't really let it get to me. This person looked at my art and saw what I like to draw. It's sort of a buyer's beware. If you want a buxom chic that's scantily clad with a really detailed gun with a tank in the background...I'll try my hardest, but I'm probably NOT the best one on the job for that.

Anime fans are notoriously cheap and part of that IS because it's their allowance. But think of generations of anime fans raised on bittorrent and mangafox (I
Tama-chan
Quite Yakkity

aka John Yume

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 09:33:34 pm »

Quote from: Silvernomiko on May 10, 2011, 08:08:15 pm
Matsuri Tama-chan and I heard some person loudly point to her friend and say stuff like "I'd draw MUCH better, the anatomy's wrong there, that one, there..." pointing to each print. Mostly mine--yeah, I know, kid...I'm RIGHT THERE. The fact that they don't even realize they're being utterly rude is just . . . sad.

I have to say that's one of the top oddest/rudest comments I've ever received/witness. Pointing at our stuff making rude observations (not even directed as us) and then quickly running off... That was really just, "what the heck?!?" o_o;

But yeah, MOST of the negative comments I receive aren't even directed at me but are usually loud enough to hear chatter between friends.... *waves at them* "Hello I can HEAR you~" 8D;;;

It's only amusing that they almost seem offended that I don't offer them cheaper prices on stuff I made.
lol yes, After I finally got a set low price for my prints I no longer did Sunday sales. And people would be "offended" xD

I think a gray area comment is when you do a commission and their faces . . . aren't happy. Not deliriously happy or straight up angry. Just a sort of, "Uuuuh/meh" kind of thing.
I never had anyone ask for money back, but those "meh" reactions are the worse ;A; I feel so bad if the people aren't obviously happy about the commission. But maybe some people aren't "expressive" or they don't want to act uncool by jumping around and squealing like a girl.

Anime fans are notoriously cheap and part of that IS because it's their allowance. But think of generations of anime fans raised on bittorrent and mangafox (I

-AA Artist- www.johnyume.deviantart.com

Good Artists are Crappy Artists that never gave up

"You're like the giant glowing Fujimoto icon of... the whole convention, pretty much." ~ AshHavynn
Chrislea
Sort-of-Evil Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 01:27:41 am »

Quote from: Silvernomiko on May 10, 2011, 08:08:15 pm

And in those days, we even had to pay for the fansubs!  And instead of a 15$ dvd with an entire series, we had to pay forty bucks for a VHS with three episodes!  My sister and I used to count how many lunches we could skip at school to afford a new tape....  >.>  Bulk orders of Hana Yori Dango...  Precious trips to the mall for Fushigi Yuugi and Utena....  T^T
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: