convention artists community
June 27, 2010, 09:13:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:      A-kon 21 is now over, hope you all had fun Grin
       Leave your feedback on the con here:
https://starcrossd.net/akon/index.php?topic=1190.0

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: FEEDBACK MEGATHREAD  (Read 1158 times)
Spizzy
NEWSFLASH: I'M MEAN / Snail Products Person
Administrator
(Evil) Board Overlord

UPDATE: STILL MEAN!

View Profile WWW
FEEDBACK MEGATHREAD
« on: May 31, 2010, 05:17:46 pm »

Figured I'd just get it posted so it'll be here when we need it  Cheesy 

(also to other mods: I already made a folder in the arrrchive for this year and will probably attend to getting things moved after I get home (since I have no life and all))
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 05:19:35 pm by meauho » Logged

Spizzy
Administrator
(Evil) Board Overlord

View Profile WWW
Re: FEEDBACK MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 10:03:57 pm »

my super short summary for all this is just that: Akon was weeeeeeird this year. From what I gathered from all the other artists I talked to, money just wasn't really to be had this year. I moved a ton of badges though and was able to clear a few of my old designs so that made me hellaciously happy. I had more sales on saturday than friday it felt like, but they were small fry sales for the most part and didn't really add up. I think all in all I made the same or less than my first a-kon (about 530 D:).

However, I don't give a crap. Because I had the best birthday ever. I didn't make a whole lot of money, but I broke even, got to see a lot of friends I rarely see, and I had a surprise birthday party held at my table and cake was had. THANK YOU EVERYOOOONNEEEEEE *huggles Starry and co and all others
Also I must say, those rave cacti staff had were pretty sweet, WHO MADE THOSE???

Volunteers and staff for the AA were once again excellent; the water cart was a nice addition and all the volunteers were really nice. Con goers were their usual selves but overall fairly well behaved, and elevator crew didn't seem to be jerks like I've heard they have been in past years. I had a ton of fun as usual even if I didn't turn over a whole lot, so I can't wait for next year!

electriksunshine
Chatty Arist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:40:37 pm »

oh wow i'm awake much earlier than intended...

want to write a VERY LONG POST but much too tired/hungry to do it nao.

(and ps Spizzy you still made more at your first a-kon than I did at mine. I made about $200 at my first con...LOL)

now it is time for food!

----------------
Now playing: µ-Ziq - Roy Castle
via FoxyTunes

www.hypergleam.etsy.com
Spizzy
Administrator
(Evil) Board Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:55:19 pm »

well a-kon wasn't my first con. my first con I got 65 bucks XD ))

pinkfairywand
pinku geeku / kitten product person
Global Moderator
Quite Yakkity

butts lol

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:38:17 am »

WELL since I woke up instead of sleeping all night I guess I'll leave some notes!

WEIRDEST CON EVER. It was sooooo effing hotttttttttttttt at the front of the downstairs alley, and upstairs it seemed really sweltering too. I know it was in the hundreds outside but come on. Blerrrrggggggggggggg. I normally get a good amount of $20 - $30 purchases on Saturday, so I was expecting (FOOLISHLY) that with more products that cost between $2 - $5 (instead of just a ton of $1 buttons) that it would either continue or increase, but nope. Soooooooo many $5> sales all weekend. I heard that even some dealers in the DR were saying they made half on Saturday what they made on Friday which is just strange. My guess is that people were spending their money on cold drinks or spending their time in the Plaza of the Americas where the air conditioning didn't blow. I did well, but the past two years have been better even if just by a little.

Of course it was run very smoothly from my end! All the volunteers were like SUPER ATTENTIVE and so nice!!! Even when my cousin asked for freaking five cups of water they didn't even look at her funny (but I did.) I love love loved my neighbors (Cyber Zombi Accessories and Yaya Han) but also was so happy to drop in on old neighbors from years past. I've never felt so thoroughly taken care of at a con before; between the volunteers and my neighbors/their helpers I felt so welcome!! =3=

The Chorizo thing was hilarious and such a great idea. A lot of people just came up and went SIGN MY CARD and I was like LOL NO FIND THE CHORIZO ON THE TABLE FIRST. Also at least one person knew my chorizo sausage button was chorizo without even knowing about the damn game so woop.

I am soooo bad at getting set up in the morning, it's just wild to me how so many people are capable of it, but I definitely stayed set up until about 3am on Friday night. Saturday night, oddly enough, was slow enough that we packed up just before 1am. Sunday I broke down about 5pm, the latest I've ever stayed I think.

One of my friends and I had to go bust a dude selling glow sticks at Tachiik's empty table at around 11 or so on Saturday night. I'm sure we were really imposing with our fancy Yaya cat ears on, and probably they just took the box o'sticks somewhere else in the con to sell, but whatever.

I heard that someone also busted a HOBO sleeping under someone's table! A HOBO!! That is so crazy.

Who was giving $2 bills as change? I have like ten of them!

OH and thank you sooo much to Happy Grackle for passing that hilarious round-robin comic around. So, so, so funny!

Gotta thank everyone who I got stuff from
And to everyone that I saw and got to BS with even if just for a minute, thank you so much for tolerating my weird ass year after year.

Did anyone else load up on Calpico/Green Tea/Oolong Tea and stuff at the Japanese junk food stand on the second floor? They had a ton of stuff for $1 on Sunday so I slapped down a $20 and went grocery shopping. >_>;;

Now time to try to sleep again!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 01:40:29 am by pinkfairywand » Logged

pinkfairywand hooray
Proz
Quiet Artist

San Japan - Chairman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 05:05:53 am »

Sorry to be a stickler but I have to give my thoughts on Convention Alley [C.A.] which after 3 years I've had enough.

One particular convention decided from 4-6pm on Saturday it was appropriate to play rave music at rave/dance sound levels within C.A. Even in AA this has usually been squelched but this particular convention decided they really didn't care what any other booth thought as they seemed to think that since other booths played some music at moderate levels that they are perfectly allowed to play ear-piercing music. I had to put in multiple requests to have this situated yet this went on for 2 hours and even after finally being shut down it restarted again at 6:45pm which drove out just about everyone from C.A.. I left at 7:30pm. I had enough in trying to yell at people just to be heard.

If this offender wants to sponsor A-kon's rave then they can throw money at A-kon but I feel that when an offender makes such gross disregard to basic rules that they should be removed after being warned. Last year we were reprimanded for having our music above an appropriate level and we immediately complied upon request to turn down the music then this year we kept it at a moderate level yet this gross offender thought that since they needed to be heard after being placed at the tail-end of C.A. that they needed to blast music at completely inappropriate levels with large speakers.

It wasn't the music I took offense, it was the total lack of disregard and respect to its neighbors in C.A.. They might as welled just blasted air horns if they were trying to attract people.

This was my worst A-kon in trying to drum up support for the convention in trying to put in a last-minute push to get the name out. I have now realized the advertising in the program book for 3 years is truly ineffective after spending over a $1000 a year in front-page placement, materials and hotel rooms in trying to get the name out at the con (I scoff at the mention in the sponsorship packet the phrase "It's like free MONEY!") and have decided I will be applying to move to the exhibit area or the dealer room over being in C.A. I would much rather distant myself as far away as possible from the offender and will gladly pay A-kon for a far better placement since the traffic in C.A. is a trickle. If this is denied as being seen as an unfair advantage to other conventions then I will just scale back tremendously as I will go the route of several other conventions of just handing out materials and go to a one-on-one approach.

I know C.A. is at the lowest part of the totem pole since we are given complimentary badges & tables which is appreciated but a bit more enforcement of rules would be a lot more appreciated instead of letting C.A. turn into a Wild Wild West which it has become (there were other offenses being committed like raffles, AA materials being sold and food sales but they were minute compared to this one).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:59:14 am by Proz » Logged

San Antonio, TX - Marriott Rivercenter Hotel
tachiik
Chatty Arist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:05:06 am »

Pink: OMG so that's what happened, i was wondering why there were little glow sticks on my table when i got back. haha at least i didn't have my table cloth stolen again, someone took it on friday! i was like WTF.

anywhoo...i'll write up a thing evnetually about a kon. haha but i'm exhausted. and i'm not looking forward to restocking everything....ugh....
Starrydance
Kitten Product Person
Global Moderator
(Evil) Board Overlord

Kupo! Kupo! Kweh!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:27:35 am »

Short summary cuz Im tiiiiired.

Money was super weird, from my going table2table upstairs/downstairs and the few dealers I know.  Seemed everyone tended to do weirdly super well on Friday, kinda meh on Saturday (sometimes half or less than friday) and decent Sunday.

It was HOT and that was not really very much a nice experience. I dont like being hooooot.  I think it made a lot of cosplayers not cosplay, which to me is among the best parts of Akon
The art show was not a great HOORAY for me either, but as thats not part of the alley it doesnt matter.  Kris comics tends to do weeeeell!
I LOVED being upstairs, no joke. The traffics good, the secure part is seriously rocking, and while I miss being downstairs in the mess of everyone I know its sure-as-heck nice not having to drag stuff around.

Ummm... and I got lots of cool loot of which I will talk of later.

I will say one thing, it was VERY neat to kinda be upstairs among 'new' 'I dont know well' folks and make new friends.  As much as I missed being among all my buddies, it was awesome to have a chance to meet new ones.

Starrydance - Gwynn Farrington
www.Starrydance.com
www.Starrydance.DeviantArt.com
Sirenz
Sociable Artist

Naruto LVR4EVA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 10:35:16 am »

Yes I hated how hot it was on Saturday! Luckily, Anime Fest gave out fans and the A-KON staff gave water. I super loved them for it.

My sales tripled this year from last so I now have enough for the mac I was saving up for. Yay! I have had my mega slow PC for 5 years so photoshop keeps freezing on me.
I also hung out with my Gaia Online buddies and met an online friend I've known 10 years for the very first time in person. My favorite part is always seeing the smiles and laughter that my art brings to people who come by my table. Even when I'm not doing well one day in sales, that is what keeps me going.

Last year I only made $15 on Thursday but I made so much more on that day this year! This Woody Allen look-alike bought in bulk the rest of my small buttons that Starry had made me.  Friday had the best sales ever for me and I did feel the pinch too on Saturday. I don't know if it was because of the heat or what. Tons of people went to the mall plaza to avoid sweating. Sunday is when I have my clearance sale so sold a lot more stuff than I ever had at any convention.

I also did 11 commissions this year, much more than last year! *wrists ache*

The events I went to were the Rave, Gaia Panel and Gaia Feedback Social - way more that I usually attend.  Silver Ice, my neighbor, was really nice and gave me a button. I sure had a blast and wish A-KON lasted longer...

Spizzy
Administrator
(Evil) Board Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 12:31:58 pm »

I also had to bust some squatters in front of HASTUR'S booth XD they were trying to sell the little cup cake ring sorts of things, but they put it up after I asked them and warned her husband to keep an eye on them and all was well.

Proz: I'm sorry convention alley seems to stink so much D:  I didn't even have time to run by there since I had to steal other people's table helpers (Thank you Shawna and ravenmoon for letting me steal your friends/relatives/boyfriends XD)  to go see others artists. I wish I had had my usual help--I only had time to visit people I knew and anything interesting I hadn't seen before, I missed being able to thoroughly check out EVERYONE *stalks*

and it WAS oddly hot friday and saturday. I couldn't even wear my jacket, who would have thought! But it was tolerable so long as I wasn't being stupid and wearing my jacket etc.

Starrydance
Kitten Product Person
Global Moderator
(Evil) Board Overlord

Kupo! Kupo! Kweh!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 12:52:25 pm »

Oh yes and one MORE TIME TO EMBARRASS YOUUUU!

HAAPPY BIIIRTHDAY SPIIIZY!!!!

Starrydance - Gwynn Farrington
www.Starrydance.com
www.Starrydance.DeviantArt.com
Spizzy
Administrator
(Evil) Board Overlord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 01:19:11 pm »

*cries again*

manaki_neko
Quiet Artist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 02:06:44 pm »

This was my first A-kon on my own (without the help of a 'business manager'). Money was a little less for me than previous years, and I made an even amount on all three days. It was great seeing old faces and meeting new! I haven't been to A-kon since they split the Alley. Being someone who only lives about an hour away and not being able to afford one of the rooms, it was great to have the security of being upstairs (however after closing Saturday there were 'non badged' convention goers behind the tables.
The addition of volunteers helping out with snack and water and the like was GREAT. I didn't need to ask much of them, but it was indeed very useful when I did. I wish the snack cart people had passed around a little more.
It was WAY warmer than I remember A-kon being, last time I was there I nearly froze my butt off. I'm used to working outside so it didn't seem to bother me as much as other people.
I think I had a pretty good convention, and it was well hosted, and HUGE THANK YOU to A-Kon staff and Volunteers for being made of pure awesome.
AshHavynn
Sociable Artist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 02:28:23 pm »

YAY it's time for me to talk FOREVER.

Firstly let me say that I don't really KNOW how things are supposed to work at a convention because this was my 1st time selling... So I even mispriced a lot of stuff like prints, which NO ONE bought until I lowered the price on Sunday. There was a bit of fuss with my tiny triangle corner booth, where I had to sit IN FRONT OF my cellphone charm rack, where people couldn't/didn't see them, but that was a small thing compared to the joy of HAVING a table at all (and yes, the charms sold so much better when my bro had to pack the display early and I had to throw the charms all on the table in a heap).
I didn't think it was warm at all- in fact, on Friday I wore my hoodie ALL. DAY. LONG. And was actually a little worried that on Saturday I'd be cold in just my tank top, but I was very comfortable all weekend. The water people WERE awesome though... On Friday I forgot to bring a water bottle to use for my watercolors, so it was nice asking for a cup of water just to put my brushes in XD
About sales: I think I did really really good! I made 50 cents less on Saturday than Friday (which IS less than I was told I would make by the other, very helpful and more experienced table holders around me, but still way MORE than I expected to make) but on Saturday I sold more high dollar items, like an original and some commissions. I don't know how much is usually made, but I think a grand total of $630 is AWESOME for a first time ever selling! And I would have made WAY more if I would have priced my prints cheaper (will do in future XD) One thing is for sure: I need to make WAAAAY more eeveelution buttons/cell phone charms. Almost every single one sold out!

I barely got to leave my booth, but I for sure had a TON of fun! I got to trade with a looooot of artists, and I have so many goodies that didn't even really cost me that much because I traded that it's like WHOA. Electrik, I LOVE you for those cuffs. They are super comfy+I am wearing them IRL. I need to arrange all of the longcat buttons I got from Spizzy, too, becauuse they are TOO cute. MetalEgo was the MOST FUN to be next to (with only the sweetheart and her brother with his DELICIOUS music tastes in between us) but I totally owe you stuff omg we left and you have nothing D=

AND OMFG STARRY *spazzes* like my whole con almost revolved around you between meeting you/trading like 4 times/having people commission pieces to compliment stuff they'd bought from you/you buying stuff from me.
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU BOUGHT STUFF FROM ME ;u; and then commissioned me it's like ARLLLGHDFGHJ *dies*

Annnnd my table helpers rocked. They diidn't really sign up for this, they were pretty much just friends that agreed to help me a bit when I needed it, so I tried to let them frolic about and enjoy the con as much as possible but they were suuuper helpful. My BFF made food runs for me and actually appeared out of no where so I could go peruse the AA (my FAV thing to do all con) and mmy brother has awesome leet conversation/salesman skills. Once he was familiarized with what I had in stock/how much it costed/where to find it, he was running the booth like a champ and I think I made a LOT of my sales thanks to him. (I was kind of sales-shy and didn't really come out of my shell until Saturday, when I was more confident that people would actually buy my stuff if I started talking about it to them). It really helped that he knows a lot of animes, obscure, mainstream, and everything in between. A lot of people had "OMG YOU WATCH THAT ANIME" moments even if I didn't sell the stuff
SO YEAH it was really fun and great. I am going to HAVE to do this again next year!!

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Pinkfairywand--I BOUGHT one of your Chorizo buttons! I was almost very sad because I couldn't find one at first so if you remember the hot pink leopard print girl who stared almost blankly at your buttons FOOREVAR and then bought ONE chorizo and left... that was me ^_^; I should have stopped to say hiii but my attendant thought I was just peeing and I REALLY wanted that button! *needs to find it*
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 02:30:40 pm by AshHavynn » Logged

Fairytales are not Fashion Statements
Jensequitur
Quiet Artist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 03:04:41 pm »

Well, I dunno about you guys, but this was a good festival for me.  I think I broke a record for sales.  I really appreciated the volunteers stopping by the booth and seeing how I was doing - a real life saver, because Saturday I had no helpers. 

I had my first shoplifters - that was weird.  Because I set up my gridwall so that it basically covered the entire space I had, I had to sit behind it on a chair and look through the gridwall to interact with the customers.  Well, two guys came in, looked around, took two masks off the gridwall, and didn't put them back!  They walked away - I could see my price tag sticking out of one guy's hat, so I ran after them.  The guy was meeting up with his partner, who also had a mask in his hand.  I guess they wanted to compare their loot.  I grabbed both of them, said "Thank You!" sarcastically, and walked back to my booth.  Crazy. 

If I had been thinking more clearly, I would have dragged both of them to the AA admin table, because I was close to it, but I just wanted to get back to my table.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: