convention artists community
July 12, 2010, 10:10:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:      A-kon 21 is now over, hope you all had fun Grin
       Leave your feedback on the con here:
https://starcrossd.net/akon/index.php?topic=1190.0

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kami report!  (Read 329 times)
Starrydance
Kitten Product Person
Global Moderator
(Evil) Board Overlord

Kupo! Kupo! Kweh!

View Profile WWW
Kami report!
« on: March 22, 2010, 03:57:23 pm »

Just a small quick note/report.

The hotel was fairly nice, although kinda oddly laid out for a convention. Seemed more like a business meeting hotel not a con hotel.  The dealers room was acutally not connected through the hotel, had to go outside (le gasp) to get there.  And it rained all Saturday ;  ;

The alley was split, and the secure alley was in front of the panel rooms, with the unsecure across the top of the escalators by the autograph room, down near the game room, sorta across from the hall to the panel rooms. So fairly close together but still definitely separate.

It seemed attendance was really pretty low, I didnt make a huge amount of sales.  However, as my best friend pointed out - you cant be a freak like me and start at Akon and Afest and then go back years later to test the smaller cons and be all what? what? wheres mah Sales?!

I *really* enjoyed being outside the panel rooms, we got to see things! *laughs*  It was a smaller con, and a new market for us we've never sold in Houston  before.  All in all, it was a good con and we'd consider coming back next year after the dates of everything is announced.

I do kinda like the smaller cons, you get to acutally talk and stuff with other artists and go to bed (or go to events) and acutally eat.  So, all in all good. The badges are neat (Ladre was the artist) and the hotel was acutally WARM. I wasnt freezing all weekend like normal.

Meauho did a good job keeping up with complaints/suggestions/drama and check in was easy and felt like we could always find 'someone' if we needed them. Hastur was easy to reach as well, as the Art Show was kinda the center of both alleys and she was almost always in there.  Another plus of smaller cons!

Starrydance - Gwynn Farrington
www.Starrydance.com
www.Starrydance.DeviantArt.com
doomsplosion
Quiet Artist

View Profile
Re: Kami report!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:48:00 pm »

We had a pretty good time as well, though having to leave and go back to OK on Saturday night turned out to be a little more dangerous than previously expected....

I feel like the secure alley (where we were) had a couple of dead areas, but attendance wasn't huge and sales were alright for how busy it was.  Have sales at conventions been pretty slow this year, or maybe its just us?

Check in and placement was smooth and the no music/screens was WONDERFUL.  Being able to talk to customers/neighbors is great.

We were a part of the iron artist panel, and it was pretty fun, though attendance was way low and we were in an enormous panel room.  Oh well, no one to blame for that.

It's a bit of a drive to come to a con this size, so we'll see about next year.  If we aren't there its not because we had a bad time.
Ladre
Quite Yakkity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 05:42:22 pm »

Seems like everyone I talked with thought it was a bit slow, and maybe it seemed like there really weren't many people there, due to how spread out things were. But it also seems like it was very well run (Which is a lot more than we can say about some other small cons, yes?) It's good when the staff are active enough that you see them several times throughout the con (meauho and Hastur). Everyone was nice, and it was a great con for getting to know some people better. I got to have lots of little chats with fellow artists. As far as next year goes, I might consider going again, but it's a long trip and I have to be picky about which cons I'm willing to travel so far for =]

My website! http://www.andalten.com
Tama-chan
Chatty Arist

aka John Yume

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 01:22:41 am »

I remember last year KKC was really good about checking on their artist. And a slow con is actually a nice change of pace.

I'm kinda wondering on the actual numbers of attendance was. Was it bigger than last year?

Quote from: doomsplosion on March 22, 2010, 04:48:00 pm
...no music/screens was WONDERFUL. 

That sounds like a dream come true

-AA Artist- www.johnyume.deviantart.com

Good Artists are Crappy Artists that never gave up
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: